Thread: Lens Fungus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lens Fungus

I have recently been working on purchasing an ultra wide angle zoom lens for FF. To fill this need a couple of years ago on my 7D, I had the EFs 10-22 lens. Unfortunately, while I occasionally want wider than 24 mm, I tended to not like the shots taken with the 10-22. The lens itself was not the problem, it is just something I may not have a good eye for. But, it is something I want to be better at. So I just bought the Rokinon 14 f/2.8 UMC, but the lack of AF and the rather extreme perspective of 14 mm doesn't completely fill my need, which probably is more on the 20-24 mm range.

So I was evaluating the EF 16-35 f/2.8 II, EF 17-40, and Tokina 16-28 f/2.8. In addition to the highest price tag, the EF 16-35 has 82 mm threads. Because of the EF 24-70 II and TSE 24 f/3.5 II, I will eventually move toward 82 mm threads. But when I do it will likely cost an additional $800-900 to get all of the filters I will want (6 stop, 10 stop solid ND, CPL, adapter ring for cokin Z-pro, etc). But I would like f/2.8 for potential nightscapes. So, I was focusing my search on the EF 17-40 f/4 and the Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 (no threads) when a special on a couple of Olympic photographers came on. I was watching and they started focusing on the UWA shots that they were taking. I paused the TV on the image of them using their UWA lens to verify what it was.

EF 17-35. Huh? I had never heard of it. But a bit of research showed that it was manufactured from 1996-2001 when it was replaced by the EF 16-35 f/2.8 mk I, which was then replaced by the EF 16-35 f/2.8 mk II in 2007 (which, if that timeline holds, means we are due for a new model ). But more interestingly, it is light (545 g-this is intended to be a secondary/specialized lens) and accepts 77 mm threads (so I have the filters). In those ways, it is like the EF 17-40 f/4. But it provides the extra stop of light and in reading comments I could find, there is some love for the EF 17-35 f/2.8 out there, specifically from 20-35 mm. Which is really where I would want. It appears to be notoriously soft in the corners wide open at 17 mm, but the EF 16-35 ii and EF 17-40 aren't that great there either.

So, I check ebay and there are several for sale. I bid on one that was described by a professional photographer as having "flawless optics," "internally, front and rear" with no "scratches, dust or mold." But he had a no return policy. I won this auction.

But why is this thread entitled "lens fungus?" The lens arrived a little over a week ago at my office. I started looking over the lens, and something caught my eye internally. So I looked it over more at home.

Unforunately, it lit up like a Christmas tree
    Name:  photo 1small.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  Small-4384.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  190.8 KB

Name:  Small-4468.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  148.5 KB

Name:  Small-4464.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  145.2 KB

Name:  Small-4478.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  180.9 KB

I've spent a good part of the last week arguing with the seller, who refused to take the lens back and issue a refund despite the evidence his representation of the lens was incorrect. He first tried to tell me this was condensation, and then he tried to blame the post office. He even tried to misrepresent my opinions back to me (Jedi mind trick???) and belittle my opinions as something I learned on the "internet." Needless to say, I didn't buy any of the arguments. I sent the photos to a couple of lens repair facilities and had two responses both saying that this was fungus (which was already my suspicion). The cost to clean ranged from $174-$225 plus shipping. But I was warned that due to potential etching of the lens elements (fungus secrets hydrofluoric acid), this may not be repairable. One facility estimated that 30-40 percent of lenses with fungus have etching.

It took awhile, but this had now ended. The process was to file a complaint in the "Resolution Center," wait 4 days for us to try to "work it out," and then "escalate" the case to an ebay representative. Last night the ebay representative found in my favor and I can now return the lens for a full refund. So it is ending well. My faith in ebay as a company is intact. Their process really was easy to follow and very smooth. I am not sure if I will be buying from individual sellers anytime soon. I may want the ability to inspect any lens before buying it in the future.

I still want an UWA zoom. But I am going to wait for a bit before I start looking again.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 03-08-2014 at 12:00 PM.

You definitely don't want a lens with fungus and I think you made the right call sending it back.

From what I've seen in the past 17-40 is a ways better than 16-35 I and 16-35 II is a ways better than 17-40. It stands to reason that the 16-35 I is likely a ways better than the 17-35.

Given you are using top tier optics I think you'd likely be able to tell a difference with the 17-40 and it could be marginal on performance in comparison to the others. Using anything less and think you'd be disappointed.

Dave

Something to consider: pick up a used lens from a rental house. Obviously, you should get to know their practices on when to sell gear, but you'll most likely have a return policy in place, decent testing before the sale to know what the optics are like, product photos to know the condition of the item, and a sense that once every 1-2 weeks they laid hands on that particular lens. I've bought two cameras (admittedly 1Dx which has a rounded-up odometer), a 300/4IS, and a Profoto D1 Air kit from LensAuthority (sales arm of LensRentals.com) and couldn't be happier; I'm saving up my pennies for another bang-up year of photographic purchases, mostly from them.

I keep seeing folks recommend Lens Authority. They have (or had) a couple of 500mm F4 version-I lenses for sale at $5400.
    Mark - Flickr

I understand Lensauthority is the used arm of Lensrentals. I've bought 1 item from Lensrentals that was as described and I thought a pretty good value.

If you want to buy from individuals you want to go to more reputable photographer driven sites rather than ebay where this guy didn't know what he was talking about or was just trying to find a sucker to dump his fungus infected lens on.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    You definitely don't want a lens with fungus and I think you made the right call sending it back.

From what I've seen in the past 17-40 is a ways better than 16-35 I and 16-35 II is a ways better than 17-40. It stands to reason that the 16-35 I is likely a ways better than the 17-35.
    Thanks Dave. I think I would have been happy with the lens if it wasn't for the fungus. But given it's condition, there was no other choice to me but to return it. FYI, photozone.de has reviews of the 17-35, 17-40, and 16-35 I on an EOS 350D. They are actually pretty comparable at f/4 and f/8 and CA. I found a few other reviews, but that is one of the reasons I gave it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    Something to consider: pick up a used lens from a rental house. Obviously, you should get to know their practices on when to sell gear, but you'll most likely have a return policy in place, decent testing before the sale to know what the optics are like, product photos to know the condition of the item, and a sense that once every 1-2 weeks they laid hands on that particular lens. I've bought two cameras (admittedly 1Dx which has a rounded-up odometer), a 300/4IS, and a Profoto D1 Air kit from LensAuthority (sales arm of LensRentals.com) and couldn't be happier; I'm saving up my pennies for another bang-up year of photographic purchases, mostly from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    I keep seeing folks recommend Lens Authority. They have (or had) a couple of 500mm F4 version-I lenses for sale at $5400.
    It is a good thought. I'll definitely check them out again once I am ready to give this another try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    I understand Lensauthority is the used arm of Lensrentals. I've bought 1 item from Lensrentals that was as described and I thought a pretty good value.

If you want to buy from individuals you want to go to more reputable photographer driven sites rather than ebay where this guy didn't know what he was talking about or was just trying to find a sucker to dump his fungus infected lens on.

Dave
    I certainly do not see myself buying anything from someone without a return policy. But regarding individual sellers, I have some audiophile friends that buy and sell high end stuff off of ebay all the time and I've confirmed that they often are swapping out with individual sellers. Certainly, businesses that are using ebay as a store front are likely a better bet. But I've actually had some good luck with camera stuff. It is usually items that are low priority for me. For example, I picked up a "new" EF-M 22 f/2 off of ebay from an individual seller who said they bought it in a kit and only wanted the camera. I believe them, the lens is great. I paid $120 at a time that it was going for $200. It is a lens I hardly use but am glad to have, so it is worth it. I would probably never buy my primary gear used. As it stands, all of my primary gear has been from Amazon, B&H, and Adorama.

One other thing to note when inspecting for fungus. This wasn't easy to see. What caught my eye originally was something that looked like a bit of lint at the side of a couple lens elements. It wasn't until I racked the lens to 35 mm and got the light source off axis that it really lit up. But, if you just hold this lens up and look through it, you really don't see this.