Thread: Canon FF/APS-H/C vs medium-format cameras for photos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon FF/APS-H/C vs medium-format cameras for photos

Lately, I've been interested in learning more about the differences with the currently Canon DSLR sensors and the sensors of medium-format cameras like the PhaseONE and Hasselblad types. The level of detail and depth-of-field I've seen with the latter are impressive. Here is one photographer who shoots primarily with the 1DSMKIII, but used a PhaseONE camera for his recent trip to Indonesia and the results are STUNNING!http://www.joeyl.com/

I know the costs are insane to change over to medium-format, and most wouldn't want to switch over but rather keep the Canon equipment too. Anyone have any experience with these cameras or know the comparisons better than me? Any input would be appreciated!

Re: Canon FF/APS-H/C vs medium-format cameras for photos

Medium format usually has frame rates in the spf range, not fps. File sizes are pushing 6-7 files/GB. I'd hazard a guess that if your wallet can handle it and you do more thinking about your shot than shooting your shots, you'd like MF.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    The level of detail and depth-of-field I've seen with the latter are impressive.

Often you can achieve the same depth of field with Canon as you can with MF -- sometimes Canon is actually thinner. That is because MF lenses are usually only f/2.8 or f/4 while Canon has f/1.2 and f/1.4. As for detail, I think that is partly due to having higher MTF (usually from lower spatial frequency of larger sensor area, though lens design is the primary factor), but there is another important factor: MF have no anti-aliasing filter. Many people like the "sharp" or "detailed" look of aliased images, while others find that the same image is riddled with disturbing aliasing artifacts. Canon prefers to use an anti-alias filter to avoid the artifacts at the cost of reduced contrast.

If you need more than 20 MP or higher lens contrast at a given DOF (and stitching wont do the trick), then I think MF is the right choice. For everything else, I think it's a waste.

Hi Daniel!

The level of detail and depth-of-field I've seen
    with the latter are impressive. Here is one photographer who shoots
    primarily with the 1DSMKIII, but used a PhaseONE camera for his recent
    trip to Indonesia and the results are
    STUNNING!http://www.joeyl.com/

Those are absolutely incredible.

To be honest, though, if you told me those were taken with a 5DII I would have believed you. Am I dumb? I'm also quite curious what the advantages of MF are, when scaled down to low resolution More contrast, as Daniel pointed out. More dynamic range probably. Maybe advantages in other metrics. But in those pics, are any of these differences demonstrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    Often you can achieve the same depth of field with Canon as you can with MF -- sometimes Canon is actually thinner.

I agree that getting a thin DOF (or working well in low light for that matter) are not good reasons to go MF, just because when you pair with MF lenses you get a package whose effective f number is actually slower than what you can get with 36mm. (If you find MF lenses much faster than f/2, I shall stand corrected on this point... I haven't seen, but then I haven't really looked) MF, generally, seems to have a lot less versatility (by that I mean there is less available stuff)

Plus MF cameras I've looked at don't have high ISO. I guess they figure, you want high ISO, but a crummy small format thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    If you need more than 20 MP

Come on. Even my cheapo disposable canon has more than 20 MP.

My two cents is save thousands, buy a 5DmkII and the 85 1.2II and the IQ you will get will make you forget about medium format.

There are tons of big name portrait and fashion photographers using either 1DsIIIs or 5DIIs (usually the 5DII) for the majority of there work. The lenses I see listed most often are the 35L, 50L, 85L, 135L and the 200 2.0L.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    My two cents is save thousands, buy a 5DmkII and the 85 1.2II and the IQ you will get will make you forget about medium format.

Oh, yeah- that's what I was *trying* to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Oh, yeah- that's what I was *trying* to say.

Yeah that is what I got from it. I was just concurring.

I just realize a short time ago (I'm slow), the FOV conversion between 36mm and Medium Format is 1.6 also. Which you'd also have to factor in when comparing the DOF. The FOV on a MF 80 is similar to a 50 on the 36mm, so the MF has the perspective of a 50 with the DOF of an 80, then a MF 80 f/2.8 is like a 36mm 50 f/1.8. Obviously Canon has faster lenses than f/1.8.

Hey, thanks everyone for the input! Yeah I didn't realize about the depth-of-field thing. So, is that why when I use my 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM on my 7D or 50D, the DOF doesn't look as nice and as thin as when I've seen others take photos with theirs, presumably with a FF camera? I really want to ditch at LEAST one of my 1.6x bodies, if not both, and get FF ones. I was just interested in learning a bit more about medium-format, as it intrigues me. Seems EXTREMELY expensive though! Sheesh!

I really want to ditch at LEAST one of my 1.6x bodies, if not both, and get FF ones.

I'd hang onto the 7D if you can. It is nice to have a crop camera too. Especially one as great as the 7D.

It doesn't see nearly as much action as my 5DII but it is a great sports and second camera.

Hey, thanks everyone for the input! Yeah I didn't realize about the depth-of-field thing. So, is that why when I use my 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM on my 7D or 50D, the DOF doesn't look as nice and as thin as when I've seen others take photos with theirs, presumably with a FF camera?

Not necessarily. Lets say you are shooting with your 7D with 70-200 set at 125mm and f/2.8 and I'm right next to you with my 5DII same lens and aperture but I'm shooting at 200mm to achieve the same FOV. My DOF is going to be shallower with a more diffused background due to the compression advantage of the longer focal length. Your shot will have the appearance of a FF image shot at 200mm @ f/4.5.