Thread: Fun with the 200mm f/2L for a day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fun with the 200mm f/2L for a day

Time for some modeling work?

A background of colors, and not much else:

"Our daughter is getting married..."

I'm glad they aren't holding up scorecards...

Plan some distance to get a loose full-body shot with a 200mm:

"You better not drop the rings on Saturday, Mister!"

Go here to browse: http://photos.templin.org/gallery/harnity-misc2 The first 29 shots are the 200/2 on my 1D Mark III. 30-42 are the 24-105 on a 40D, and 43-48 are the 14/2.8 on a Rebel XTi.

I know you'll all say that I've got the crop factors all wrong, but it was my call. I had the following in the bag/box that day: 14/2.8 (rented), 16-35/2.8 (on "reserve" status, it got dropped and needs to go in the shop), 24-105/4IS, 50/1.8, 70-200/2.8IS, 85/1.2, and 200/2 (rented). I rented the 200/2 because, well, I could rent it for a steal (sorry LensRentals, Glazers in Seattle has you beat on this lens: $45/day). I rented the 14/2.8 because our 16-35 was essentially dead and if I was going to rent something wide, I'd rent this one for the same price as a 16-35 ($30/day) or $5 more than a 17-40. So those two lenses were going on cameras, period. That left the middle ground. If I had two more bodies, I'd have rented the 35/1.4 and been in heaven (14/2.8, 35/1.4, 85/1.2, 200/2). Instead, the 24-105 was the choice, and I knew it'd get a lot more use than the 14 so it went on the better of the remaining bodies.

The 200/2 was an absolute blast. Not too big, not too heavy, and almost fun to handhold (a bazooka). However, there's no way to hang the camera around your neck, and almost no way to hang it from a shoulder, so it almost has to go down. That makes switching cameras tedious (unless you're well-practiced). Now, the 14/2.8 on the Rebel feels like an absolute toy camera, Tiny with a capital T.

I could have done better overall photography had I stuck with what I had and knew. 24-105 on the 1D, 70-200/2.8 on the 40D, 85/1.2 on the Rebel. That's what I used for the actual ceremony (as an "also-shooter") two days later, and it all worked well. Towards the end of the reception, it became 24-105 on the 1D, 85 on the 40D, and the Rebel and 70-200 stayed on the table.

Ah, memories...
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Re: Fun with the 200mm f/2L for a day

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

A background of colors, and not much else:

"Our daughter is getting married..."

Is it me or does thisguy kind of look like Bobby DeNiro?

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

I'm glad they aren't holding up scorecards...

Amazing DoF. That person in the background looks like a ghost!

Seriously though, this is an amazing lens and you've shown us what it's capable of. If it only cost $2k I might buy one [H] $5k is a tough pill to swallow...even if it's that awesome!

Amazing shots. I never can get enough of that lens.

gotta love those lenses! Great shots!

Thanks for posting stuff from the EF200 f/2.0. I'd really like to declare it a wish list item, so it's nice to see what kinds of results people are getting.