Thread: 100mm IS L Macro Hissing Noise ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

100mm IS L Macro Hissing Noise ??

I just got the new 100mm IS L Macro lens to pair up with the T2i. When I press the shutter half way down, in addition to autofocussing, the lens makes a hissing noise for a few seconds. This is probably the IS running. Then if I move it a little bit, there is another noise which is probably the lens trying to stabilize. Is this hissing noise normal? This is my first lens of this type so I do not know if this is normal. It takes great pictures but I am just learing how to use it.

Thanks -

Re: 100mm IS L Macro Hissing Noise ??

I don't know if I'd call it hissing, but mine makes a few noises.

But then, I don't really know if mine is normal

It's one of two options:

1) It is your IS working away and the noise is completely normal.

2) You have a snake in your hat. In which case I would suggest removing your hat.

Don't stress, sounds perfectly normal to me.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Sounds normal and if you're still worried try putting the IS off.

Take a photo at 1/30 of a second (or any shutterspeed which you normally couldn't get steady without IS). Keep the settings, push the IS back on, let it work (it takes like a second for it to work fully when half-press the shutter-button) and take the same picture. If it is significantly sharper, no motion blur, you'll know it's working properly.

But again, it sounds pretty normal []

If you're ultra-concerned and it's been less than 14 days just take it back to the store and claim DOA and you can get a new one.

But I think the snake might be the problem[]

I have tried turning off the IS and the sound does stop. But I did not know if this is typical. I have read where people said that the lens hummed a little. Hum, hiss, whatever. It is probably OK.