Thread: Request for destinations worth visiting while two snowbirds migrate south in January

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Request for destinations worth visiting while two snowbirds migrate south in January

Deleting old posts
    Last edited by jrw; 03-23-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    For waterfalls, great wildlife and great vistas, Smoky mountains National Park is where I generally end up...or in that area at least. If you want to specifically hunt for waterfalls, there are tons of them near Cherokee, NC (this is the area almost all of my waterfall photographs come from). Driving a section of The blue ridge Parkway is always a good choice as well, (Ive only driven the portion of it that runs through North Carolina but it didn't disappoint)

Further south...St Augustine, FL is an obvious choice for architecture, lots of really neat buildings, and just as many great little restaurants to eat at.
    A lot of people like Savannah, GA but I haven't spent enough time there to see the attraction

Quote Originally Posted by nvitalephotography View Post
    For waterfalls, great wildlife and great vistas, Smoky mountains National Park is where I generally end up...or in that area at least. If you want to specifically hunt for waterfalls, there are tons of them near Cherokee, NC (this is the area almost all of my waterfall photographs come from). Driving a section of The blue ridge Parkway is always a good choice as well, (Ive only driven the portion of it that runs through North Carolina but it didn't disappoint)

Further south...St Augustine, FL is an obvious choice for architecture, lots of really neat buildings, and just as many great little restaurants to eat at.
    A lot of people like Savannah, GA but I haven't spent enough time there to see the attraction
    Great suggestions - there is a interesting water fall just north of Atlanta - easy google search "Georgia Waterfalls"

When you get to Orlando send me a PM and perhaps we can catch up if you wish if I am in town.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Great suggestions - there is a interesting water fall just north of Atlanta - easy google search "Georgia Waterfalls"

I think I've been to that falls as well, I posted a photo of it a few weeks back in another thread. Its a really neat spot

Quote Originally Posted by nvitalephotography View Post
    I agree Nick... the Smoky's and the area around Cherokee are real nice for waterfalls and cascading water down the sides of hills. Just to give you an idea of the type of water falls and scenery in that area, here is a link to a set of pictures my wife and I took when we were in the Smoky's a couple of years ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/6047960...7626732721174/

If you are driving through the Smoky's keep an eye on the hill sides along the road... there are lot of neat (small) cascading streams flowing down the side of the hills.

Pat
    Last edited by conropl; 11-30-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

That could be a nice drive. My wife and I stopped in Savannah in September, also on a drive to Orlando. The images are here. Architecture and brew pubs are plentiful. We also stopped in St. Augustine often on our way south. Lots to photograph in the old town and state and national parks. Photos and more photos.

Another suggestion would be Assateague Island National Seashore. Lots of wildlife, though a bit out of your way.

Larry

Amelia Island Plantation (AIP) is pretty cool. The hotel rooms all face the ocean and it's not too pricey in the off season. And I'll throw in my vote for St. Augustine. Great little place. When we spend Christmas with the Florida half of the family (also in Orlando), we usually stay in St. Augustine as much as possible. It's really something to see around Christmas with all the lights.
    Mark - Flickr

One of my favorite places for nice hikes and waterfalls is the area around Highlands, North Carolina. Search online. I seem to remember that many of the counties around that area are dry, so pack your own beer if you ever go there (that's what I always do). As Pat said, you can pretty much find cool running water anywhere in the Smoky Mountains. In the valleys between the mountains you will also see a lot of Black Bears. On another note, I've never actually been to the Smoky Mountain area in January, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the waterfalls are not running in the winter. Has anybody ever been to the Smoky Mountains over the winter months?
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    . Biggest problem we are having is deciding on whether to head further down into the Everglades or do a bit of a coastal tour.

Thanks for all of the input!
    I'd say most people prefer the coast. I love the everglades (thats why I work in them) but unless you want to go for an airboat ride ane/or want to see lots of birds and gators, I would say the coast has more to offer. Of course if you go for a coastal tour, you have to decide which coast, because they both have different things to offer.