Thread: Why are there grid lines on the actual photo after cropping???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why are there grid lines on the actual photo after cropping???

I started to work on this photo in CS6. All I did was a minor crop and noticed this problem. You can't tell so much in the example of it but the lines created look like grid lines. Why would this happen to the photo just from cropping?

Name:  Uncropped vs. Cropped.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  152.7 KB

Re: Why are there grid lines on the actual photo after cropping???

I can't see nothing on my phone, but by your description, could it be an opacity issue. Maybe lowered it without knowing revealing the background (checkerboard). Could also be a zoom issue if it's cropped too much revealing pixels. That is my best guess for now.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Why are there grid lines on the actual photo after cropping???

I am also working off my phone, but could it be shadow pattern noise?

It does not look exactly like the pattern noise that I've seen, but, again, the phone. Did you raise shadows or exposure?

It looks like the shadows were pushed and your seeing the ever problematic "banding". Was the problem photo exported before you posted or is this a screen shot of the two. I have read of some issues with CS6 creating something like this during export to JPEG. Try exporting it to a tiff file and then export it to jpeg with either cs6 or DPP. If the problem persists, maybe someone else has a remedy that I don't know of.

This is a screen shot of the two. All I did was crop and zoomed in and there it was. Then I deleted the crop and zoomed in and it was gone.

I supppose it could be banding since there is shadow there but why does it only show up when I crop and I guess I never saw "banding" like this. I wish it was clearer here but it really lookes like a perfectly aligned grid.

Wierd! Anyway, I went on to process the photo and applied a few actions to the photo and it seemed to not be noticeable under normal web viewing. I posted the full photo under the "Current Photos" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    I wish it was clearer here but it really lookes like a perfectly aligned grid.

Wierd!
    Denise,

Agreed. Looking at this on my monitor now and it still doesn't look exactly like banding/pattern noise that I've seen. But those can be a grid. This is a shot I've taken at ISO 100 with the 7D and pushed 5 stops in LR4:

Name:  7D small-2196-2.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  153.9 KB

I don't know what it could be. Banding doesn't usually have an exact pattern like this. I really wish uploading it didn't change what I am seeing on my screen. The lines are perfectly straight, perfectly spaced horizontally and verically and the colors are evenly gray almost like a screen was placed on top of that area of the photo and only appears after the crop. As soon as I undo the crop and just zoom in, it is not there. It might be on other areas of the photo but not as noticable due to the colors.