Thread: Pop-up ads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pop-up ads

I have never experienced pop-up ads on TDP.com, but I usually use Google Chrome or Firefox. Right now I am on a computer with IE6 and I am getting pop-up ads, which doesn't seem to jive with what I like about TDP (a useful tool with useful links to reputable retailers). The pop-ups seem to be "camera" related, but say "Win a free 50D by completing 20 offers" or something. I don't know all about how ads work, but I wouldn't think this type of advertising would help TDP in the long run.

Are other people experiencing pop-ups? Is it just my computer?

Bryan, I know sometimes you have limited control over Google ads, is this something like that, or just a better way you have found to support the site (which I love--go here every day about--and if pop-ups are necessary, then that is fine with me)?

Anyway, I will go back to my other browser and everything will be back to normal...

Re: Pop-up ads

I get pop-up ads on my computer too (I use Safari).

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Probert

I have never experienced pop-up ads on TDP.com, but I usually use Google Chrome or Firefox. Right now I am on a computer with IE6 and I am getting pop-up ads, which doesn't seem to jive with what I like about TDP (a useful tool with useful links to reputable retailers). The pop-ups seem to be "camera" related, but say "Win a free 50D by completing 20 offers" or something. I don't know all about how ads work, but I wouldn't think this type of advertising would help TDP in the long run.

Are other people experiencing pop-ups? Is it just my computer?

Bryan, I know sometimes you have limited control over Google ads, is this something like that, or just a better way you have found to support the site (which I love--go here every day about--and if pop-ups are necessary, then that is fine with me)?

I believe that these ads fund TDP. I doubt they'd be here if they weren't necessary. But hey, it does get a lot worse than this.

brendan

I think my problem is actually caused by adware on my computer. I got a popup after I posted that posed as an exit survey from TDP, but at the bottom, it said it was not affiliated with TDP. I think someone else who uses this computer got something called "GameVance" or something installed which adds ads to every site.

I think my problem is actually caused by adware on my computer. I got a popup after I posted that posed as an exit survey from TDP, but at the bottom, it said it was not affiliated with TDP. I think someone else who uses this computer got something called "AdVance" or something installed which adds ads to every site.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I was about to suggest that adware may be the culprit. Bryan builds the ad spaceinto his site--there are no pop-ups as far as I know. There are some rather aggressive adware programs that will show pop-ups everytime you open a browser window or go to any site.

Yeah, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions while using a strange computer. Hey, congratulations on 1,000+ posts, Sean. I know you congratulated Browning, but I would like to say the same to you. I really appreciate your lighting insight, especially.

Hey, congratulations on 1,000+ posts, Sean. I know you congratulated Browning, but I would like to say the same to you. I really appreciate your lighting insight, especially.

Glad to be of some help. It's nice to be useful for a change! (Ambertells me I'm useless on a daily basis...maybe I should start taking out the garbage?)

I'd also suggest you've got some adware hiding in there somewhere. I don't get any popups while browsing TDP on my home or work PC's running IE.

Get yourself a good antivirus such as Kasperski or BitDefender and that should clear things up.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I've never gotten a pop-up from TDP, using Safari on my Mac, and I don't have the pop-up blocker turned on.

Hi Everyone,

I strongly dislike pop-up ads and have never accepted one to run on the site. I can't say that I wouldn't run one if someone paid me $1,000,000, but ... that is unlikely.

I use the site a lot myself and don't want to be bothered by these annoying ads.

[]

Bryan