Thread: Help Choosing First Off Camera Lighting Set

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help Choosing First Off Camera Lighting Set

I am looking to expand my lighting beyond my 580EX II. I would like to try doing some portraits with my 5D II with umbrellas and/or softboxes. I am just starting to try it out for family shots and to expand my horizons in photography. I am looking at a kit that Adorama has, a Westcott 240P. They have it on a special this week for $400, which seems like a good price for a starting kit. The kit I am looking at can be seen at:

www.adorama.com/WESTL2LKB.html

I am looking at some advice from some of you accomplished strobists.

Thanks for your advice and guidance,

Chris

Re: Help Choosing First Off Camera Lighting Set

Chris,

A comment from a relative lighting newbie, with strawberries up and down my legs from some bad falls. 120 W/S lights will bum you out rather quickly, though they might make good hair lights! A 24x32 softbox is good for tight product shots and head shots, you do not start getting into a decent softbox till you are 30x60 or larger, and maybe a 47" inch octobox. When you have these larger modifiers (soft box is just that), you will find that 120W/S monolights are way underpowered for decent portrait photography. I am a firm believer in buy it right, and buy it once. I have now spent the better part of a grand on bad lights, and have learned my lesson, dont do the same.

I can only recommend three good lighting systems, Profoto = big bucks, big impact , Elinchrom, medium to big bucks, still big impact, and PCB, minimal bucks and still big impact.

I eventually chose the PCB route ( Paul C Buff of Alien Bees/Einstein fame ). I started with a 580 Speedlight, then added a 580EX II, and some good umbrella

Chris,

One last thing, give PCB a call, and you will be amazed how much time they will spend with you on the phone to make sure what you buy is what you want, they have the best, and most knowledgeable folks I have ever talked to, and they are superb in fixing fubars, they actually only hire people that can bend over backwards ;-)

I kid about the bending, not the people and their service, and no, I have nada relation to them, or any other foto folks, I am just a PCB fan. I just like spending money properly, and they make it a joy when it comes to lighting/strobism.

Chris,

For your proposed 400 bucks, you can get one AB800, a HOP reflector, and then get some relatively cheap, Calumet or Monfrotto stands, and a good 30x60 Softbox. The adapter to make your speedlight work on the stand might be 19 bucks extra...

I want thank you for the advice so far. I am sorry about my delay in checking on them, my job involves plowing and we have had a regular winter wonderland.Since December 1st we have had few days without plowing/salting. I think the first take away for me is to scrap the thought the of the "cheap" set I was looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by MacManUS
    Spend once, and reap the benefits for a long time to come.

I agree completely and I think that after some saving and studying I will look at the PCB's.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Ovick<span class="user-name"
    ]Sean Setters who is EXCEPTIONAL with the art of strobism and his tutorial is #1 in my book!

Also agree completely! [Y][Y] I am going to study that thoroughly before I take another step. I have time as there is no pressing need, I just am looking to grow and I would rather save and buy better items I will use rather than cheaper one to outgrow.

Thanks for your reply Sean. As Todd mentioned I think you are one of the best and I enjoy your work. Seeing what can be done is one of the things that started me thinking of expanding into more than just my 580EX II mounted atop my camera. After I go through your "Interested in strobism" thread, I may need to seek more advice.

Thanks Mike, I was thinking of getting an extra Canon Flash and umbrellas before saw the Adorama kit. I may well start off with that idea. The umbrellas will be useful with future expansion as will a second Canon flash. In addition, from a cost stand point it should be about the same. I am going to read Sean's thread and check out strobist.com as you suggested and I will then make a more structured plan. It may take me some time, but I will continue forth.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris

Here is a link to a posting on this website from a TDP member, Sean Setters who is EXCEPTIONAL with the art of strobism and his tutorial is #1 in my book!

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/photography_tips_techniques1/f/12/p/2081/16041.aspx#16041

You know, just starting out, he may want to try and pick up a couple of cheap White Lightning Ultra 600s at an ebay price of about $150. They were made before the Alien Bees, and pack about as much power as the B800. Unfortunately, the release mechanism for connecting light modifiers is a bit of a pain, but it's not too bad (just a little time consuming). In fact, ebay's a great place to find modifiers at decent prices as well.

For this shot I'm using the Ultra 600 and the Paul C. Buff HOBD:

One answer: strobist.com

If you got to that link, you will find way more information that you could possibly need. Also, www.flickr.com/.../strobist is a discussion group for the sole purpose of off camera lighting.

Now, do you really think you need more lights? Personally, I
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS