Thread: Old FD lens for D60?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Old FD lens for D60?

Hello,
    I would like to know if the old FD 35mm lens can be used on a D60?

You can, with either:
    a) An adapter with glass in it. Buy one for $20 off ebay, and your photos will look hopeless. Buy the original canon one (maybe for a few hundred $) and your photos will look ok. Some companies make adapters with glass in that aren't bad, but I don't know who they are (Hartblei make them, and Hartblei make other good quality optics, so maybe they're not so bad, don't blame me if they're not).
    b) An adapter with no glass in it, and you won't be able to focus to infinity. Depending on how thin it is, you may be able to take portraits from a few meters away, or you may be limited to macro shots only.
    c) Wait for EdMika to make an adapter. Read this. Currently there's only adapters for the FD TS 35mm, the FL 55mm f/1.2 (i've got one of these and highly recommend it), the FD 55mm f/1.2 (SSC and Chrome-Nose), and for anything 200mm or longer. See here for his stuff.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

thank you Croubie

Thank you for your quick reply.
    But I think I'll buy a new 55mm for the D60 if the quality of photos has to be compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    You can, with either:
    a) An adapter with glass in it. Buy one for $20 off ebay, and your photos will look hopeless. Buy the original canon one (maybe for a few hundred $) and your photos will look ok. Some companies make adapters with glass in that aren't bad, but I don't know who they are (Hartblei make them, and Hartblei make other good quality optics, so maybe they're not so bad, don't blame me if they're not).
    b) An adapter with no glass in it, and you won't be able to focus to infinity. Depending on how thin it is, you may be able to take portraits from a few meters away, or you may be limited to macro shots only.
    c) Wait for EdMika to make an adapter. Read this. Currently there's only adapters for the FD TS 35mm, the FL 55mm f/1.2 (i've got one of these and highly recommend it), the FD 55mm f/1.2 (SSC and Chrome-Nose), and for anything 200mm or longer. See here for his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by flo View Post
    Hello, I would like to know if the old FD 35mm lens can be used on a D60?
    Yes, it's pretty straightforward. The first task will be to locate the nearest telegram office. From there, send a message to all the museums to see if any have a D60. They charge by the letter, so keep it short. Next is make sure your horses are well-fed, because the museum may be a day's ride or further. If you have one of those fancy new horse-drawn "open cars", be sure to bring a rain jacket. Personally, I have fond memories of when I was a child, sitting on my great grandfather's knee as he told me stories about his own granddad coming across a D60 during the Civil War. He said that even then it was considered out of date. Back then, flash cards were still measured in *megabytes* and you could actually count the megapixels on one hand.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, it's nice to know that some of the older models out there are still working. I bet the photos are as good now as they were when the D60 was brand new.