Thread: Off I go to Utah/Arizona

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Off I go to Utah/Arizona

So the plan is to do some serious photo w/o non-photo encumbering family.

putting all the details to final this weekend. Zion, South Coyote Butte, etc. Will try for a WAVE daily permit and see if magic happens.

Any final thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I threw a few suggestions on your earlier posts for Zion.

Hike-wise, my favorite was Zion Narrows. There was picture every few steps. I went in the fall, so water was lower. This made the hike easier, but not as many waterfalls. Plan for 8 hours at least.

I also hiked up towards Angels Landing, but opted not to go out onto Angels Landing. Instead I headed towards the West Rim Trail. A little less dizzying, but still stunning views from the top. It is quite a hike up from the bottom.

I also did some shorter hikes like Emerald Pools. I tried to get up to the Canyon Overlook Trail for sunset, but was a little too late for the best views. Looking back I wish I could have done a long exposure to capture all the light trails from the cars driving up the mountain towards the Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel.

This was my post from last year from the trip.
    http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=6777

Enjoy, I am a bit jealous!

Eric

Thanks Eric,
    Rented the 24 & 90 TS for this trip. Also have been fiddling w/ a panorama slider for the tripod, want to do a couple of stitch panos - will see.

Friends from work have suggested heading south to some of the other formations, Coyote Butte, Wave (South too late for the north permit) etc.

I will have 3-4 days to work on the area that is more than a lifetime. Looking at google earth, and I can see that it would truly take years to photo 25% of the landscape.

Last time through I certainly suffered from "Vista Fatigue"

Thanks again,

Mike

I'm heading to Goblin Valley myself on Aug 2nd. It's kind of sad that this will be my first trip in that area with photography in mind seeing as how I live in Utah and all. Looking forward to seeing your pics.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    I'm heading to Goblin Valley myself on Aug 2nd. It's kind of sad that this will be my first trip in that area with photography in mind seeing as how I live in Utah and all. Looking forward to seeing your pics.
    First Batch
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77760916@N05/

Push the little round button, then smile. Rinse and repeat.

In other words, enjoy yourself, don't be too critical about your work, and don't back up into a canyon or gorge.

Off I go to Utah/Arizona

That's great! I'm most excited about the stars. Can't wait to get away from the city lights.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers