Thread: CPL Filter Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CPL Filter Help

I have a Lee Filter Kit that I use with my Canon 17-55 on a 60D.

after using standard ND and Grad ND filters...I am looking at getting a Circular Polariser.

Lee Filters make a 105mm CPL for outdoor use that attaches onto their existing holder with a adapter. This setup costs around $350 (B&H).

One Benefit of the Lee system is I can put up to 2 more filters along with the CPL. (I don't know if this is ever required)

I can get a B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer MRC Filter for around $110 (B&H).

Is the Lee CPL any better than the B+W. Even if I buy 2 B+W (72mm and 77mm which covers almost all canon lenses) it is still cheaper.

Any insight on this matter would be great.

Thanks

You may also consider buying the 77mm and a 72-77mm adapter. B+W and Lee both make great stuff. I guess it depends if you think you will need to use multiple filters without the risk of vignetting.
    - Eric
    Canon 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 17-55 f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8 II, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 2x III, 430EX II
    flickr.com/ericolsson

To me, this is a "how are you going to use it" question. If you are going to only be using your CPL for shots where you are already using your filter holder, in combination with other filters, then I can see paying the extra and get the Lee. For example, if you are primarily taking landscapes. But, if you are going to be use the CPL without the filter holder, you may want to consider the B+Ws.

I mostly use my CPLs without the holder (I have the cokin) and without other filters, so I have B+W screw in filters. When I am using my CPLs, I tend to put it on the end of my lens for a long period of time (usually bright days near water). I like the fact that the screw in CPL essentially replaces the UV filter and you can still do all the normal activities; walk around, take different shots, use the lens hood (after dialing in the CPL), put the lens cap back on the CPL and then store the camera. Sometimes I am in a kayak, on a boat, or at the beach. It is very secure and conveinent. This would be more difficult with a lens holder. So, the Lee CPL doesn't really fit my primary use.

I have screwed in the cokin filter holder adaptor into the B+W CPL. It works and really isn't that inconvenient, especially as I don't need it too do it often. Also if I am using my filter holder, I am already slowing down to take a deliberate shot and can handle a little inconvenience.

BTW, sometimes I've noticed a color shift (slightly blue) when using the CPL or at least a change in the color temperature (but warming it up in post doesn't seem to help). I've been tempted to try Singh-Ray's "Warming CPL" seems designed to counter this effect (link). I'd be curious to hear what others think or if they have tried the warming CPL.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 01-23-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: trouble with english language...and yes, that is my "first" language

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I've been tempted to try Singh-Ray's "Warming CPL" seems designed to counter this effect (link). I'd be curious to hear what others think or if they have tried the warming CPL.
    I use Singh-Ray's Vari-N-Duo which combines their warming polarizer with a variable ND filter. I was hesitant to buy it because I was afraid of having to deal with the warmth imparted by the filter - I wanted a neutral filter so that I wouldn't have to deal with color correction when shooting portraits with it.

However, I've come to enjoy the warming color of the filter. I usually set my white balance to a Kelvin value a little lower (bluer) than I would otherwise, but I do not offset the warming effect completely.

I highly recommend the Singh-Ray filters. They're certainly not cheap, but they're worth the money.

(sorry to hijack the thread) :-)