Thread: Canon Eos Rebel T2i , recommended lenses for ....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon Eos Rebel T2i , recommended lenses for ....

Hi everyone, I just got the T2i and love everything about it.

Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for lenses that would really produce

amazing wide shots/panoramic views with my camera.

Is sticking with canon lenses the best idea, or is sigma something worth considering.

Ideally I want to in the future get images to canvas, big ones.

Any advice/tips greatly appreciated.

J

Re: Canon Eos Rebel T2i , recommended lenses for ....

Welcome to the TDP forums!

Quote Originally Posted by canon-ball
    amazing wide shots/panoramic views

The only true Canon ultrawide angle lens for a 1.6x crop body like yours is theEF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. Personally, I stay away from 3rd party lenses - for example, Sigma lenses tend to have autofocus problems on Canon bodies. However, the Tokina 11-16mm is well regarded.

Keep in mind that with any ultrawide lens, you'll get some distortion.

You'll absolutely want a tripod for your landscape shots - and if you get a head that pans (a ballhead with a panning lock, or an actual tilt-pan head), you can make wonderful panoramas without distortion, by using a more normal focal length lens and stitching the images together. There are numerous tutorials on stitched panoramas.

For a general purpose lens for your T2i, I absolutely recommend theEF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM- excellent optical quality, covers wide angle to short telephoto (the 'walkaround' range), fast and constant f/2.8 aperture, and image stabilization. All around, a great lens.

thx for that bit on sigma, didnt know about that problem at all, and have been reading blogs and blogs about these lenses.

forums defintly more useful.

i will look into that lens, and also stitching.

thx very much!

Personally, I'd definitely go with the Canon 10-22. I've got it, and it's amazing.

He listed one good reason to stick with Canon, no problems with auto focus. The ring USM works great. Of course it helps that a 10mm lens has just about zero depth of field, so there's not much to work with anyway haha

As I've read and researched every crop sensor wide angle lens while making my decision, the advantages of the Canon lenses were too good to pass up.

Like was said, there's going to be distortion. Canon handles it the best out of the three. I've never noticed any distortion in my pictures, let alone nit picking a straight line, up the side of the picture.

Less CA. Not much to say there, self explanitory.

Sharper. Also, not much else to say.

The only other wide angle I was even considering was the Tokina, because it's a 2.8 aperture, but the three pros to the Canon far outweigh the apterture for me.

Being such a wide lens, you can shoot a pretty slow shutter speed and retain your image, as long as it's not people, which a wide angle isn't really known for anyway.

Mine is currently on the DL.....I sorta dropped it and a piece came dislodged. Luckily it still works, but the connection from lens, to mount is loose. I yelled very loudly when I did that. lol

Hope I helped!

John

Quote Originally Posted by LoneSierra
    a 10mm lens has just about zero depth of field, so there's not much to work with anyway haha

You mean a ton of depth-of-field. []

Ultra-wides are great. Too bad I sold mine. []

If I were looking at the 10-XXmm or the like, I would stick with Canon. DPP will automatically fix for CA, distortion, andvigeneting.Plus it has the best IQ of all the mini-ultra wides (ultra wides for for 1.6 sensors).The only other lens I might consider would be the Sigma 8-16mm. Just because it's so wide....[:O]

John.

Oops...haha yes a ton of depth. I backwards was.

How could you have sold yours? I'll never ever be without my wide angle again. In fact I need to send the thing out to be fixed, so I can use it again. I miss it I work at a Hospital here and, we overlook a lot. I'm going to the roof for some sun rise over the coast, and that wide angle needs to be used.