Thread: Wedding Settings...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wedding Settings...

Hey everyone!

I'm a bit new to the wedding scene and I am assisting another photographer for this wedding season. I'm shooting with my Canon EOS 7D but really would like to upgrade a FF camera (in addition to my 7D, I don't want to get rid of my 7D right now as it's a great camera! My fear is, though, as I've seen from the wedding last week, that the 7D is just way too noisy. First of all... the glass I own is as follows: EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM, EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. I used to have so many more lenses but sold them for various reasons. What I'm interested in is getting a 1D MK IV or a 5D Mark II (preferably the latter) as my main body. Keep in mind that I have a 580EXII and a 430EXII as well. I really want my photos to have a minimal amount of noise, and easy to shoot. Does anyone have any suggestions on flash settings for me to use? Also, with my 7D & 16-35mm f/2.8, I was shooting at ISO 2000 in the chapel at shutters speeds of 1/80sec @ around f/3.5-f/4 and was getting noise and blur! I'd like to reduce both... I suppose I could have done f/2.8 at 1/125sec, but the ISO wouldn't change and the DOF would be thinner... what do you all suggest I do? I'm shooting my second wedding with him this coming Saturday and would like to give him some better photos. Below are a few of the photos I took. Keep in mind the third image there actually has Lightroom noise-reduction and sharpening applied to it.... that's the only that saves it from being terrible. Honestly, I know I can do better... I don't think these are good at all. I am getting paid fairly well for helping him and I want to earn my money. I don't normally have problems with portraits or sports (or landscapes) but... here I'm having a big problem finding the good settings/light/lens/camera etc.... I know that a FF or APS-H body would help, but until I can afford one, what can I do with my current gear to maximize my use of it? I feel like the Speedlites are a big asset and I'm rather inexperienced with them. Should I grab some light-modifiers for them? I'd love some softboxes or umbrellas, but I really need to keep minimal. Ideally, I wish I was just shooting with a 5D Mark II and 50mm f/1.2 L but... can't really afford that right now. Also, if I did get a FF body, would my 50mm f/1.4 be alright with it? I've only shot with that combo once (my 50mm on a rented 5DMkII) and it was okay but it was in a dark restaurant so I didn't get to test it in all conditions (and I was using my 430EXII the whole time). If anyone can suggest a tip or technique, or piece of equipment that would help me I'd appreciate it, thanks!

- Jordan

www.freshphotoblog.com

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/1715.IMG_5F00_4642.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/5488.IMG_5F00_4648.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/7774.IMG_5F00_4992.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/24/8080.IMG_5F00_5224.jpg[/img]

Re: Wedding Settings...

The images you show here are quite nice. The EXIF looks like they are available light. I think the best for weddings would be the 5DmkII. It will have the best low noise performance. Your lenses are great and the 580EX has plenty of power. I use the stophen omni bounce. Umbrellas and soft boxes are great but lots to drag around at a wedding where you are on the move all the time. I am still shooting with the 12.8mp 5D and a 24-105. I shoot only available light during the ceremony. The IS helps a lot here for me and the 5D has good low light performance. At receptions I use the 580EX with omni-bounce. I use f4.5 for most of the shots. My 24-105 is quite sharp at 4.5. Not quite sharp enough at f4.0.

Mark
    Mark

I can

Thanks for your input you two! Well.. it

Ah yes, $100 rental for $150 doesn

The 7D is a great camera. I have shot weddings with an XTi although anything above 400 ISO was too noisy. If you use a flash, go to your custom settings and set the flash exposure to average instead of matrix. It just seems to work more consistently. Using a light modifier softens the light and shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan

Also, 16mm isn't all that wide on my 7D. Ugh..... wish I had a 1DMkIV as I love the framing on the 16-35 and the ISO performance is SICK! (that good kinda' sick... you know?)
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Agreed. 24 on my 5D is wider than 16 on your 7D. I also have a 1DmkIIN and love it. The ISO performance is pretty good on it, not quite as good as the 5D. I would love to upgrade to a mkIV but just not in the budget anytime soon.

Mark
    Mark

thekingb: He shoots with a 1DMkIV and 5DMkII and three lenses, the EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM, EF 85mm f/1.2 II L USM, and the EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro for Macro shots... he has the first two lenses on each of his bodies (the 35 on the FF and 85 on the MarkIV) all the time. So... he really doesn

I try to use the flash as little as possible when shooting a wedding but in some cases you really can
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Hey guys, I