Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I finally did it!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I finally did it!

Yesterday, I emailed a person on flickr that comments occasionally on my photos. I don't know him very well at all but read his profile and saw that he has quite a lengthy background as a professional photographer and a long list of degrees, publishings, awards etc., etc., etc. So, I asked him his opinion of my shots. He was kind enough to reply and gave me very in-depth valuable feedback, constructive criticism and advice. It gave me much food for thought yesterday and today about my photography!

Due to the changes in unemployment comp, mine runs out in a few months so I either could A) sell all my equipment as a temporary fix or B) Have my equipment make any amount of $ possible for as long as possible.

So, I finally placed my first ad today as a photographer!!

http://racine.craigslist.org/crs/3117399818.html

I changed the poster from my previous "Pet Photography" ad I never placed awhile back. I know the prices are low compared to others that have ads in my area but I am new to it and don't feel I can charge any more than that right now. I really probably should be doing this for free until I build a portfolio but I can't afford to do that either!

As suggested by my flickr pal, I will be going mostly for outdoor natural light shots. He told me to buy reflectors but I can't spend a cent until I make a cent so it is the first thing on my list to buy as soon as possible!

So, wish me luck and please leave any comments or advice. You may mention details or a scenerio that I haven't thought of! I tend to not think things through sometimes ...LOL!

Also, I have a question for everyone. I see many offer CD's and DVD's of the photos taken from the session for around $20. I really don't want to do this but is it pretty standard to offer this now? I would prefer to just put a gallery up on my website for them to view and purchase the photos they want and have them printed professionally.

From a CD or DVD they can put them on their own personal computer, Facebook or iPad.. Yes?
    That's how people share pics now days. I think a CD would be appropriate.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    From a CD or DVD they can put them on their own personal computer, Facebook or iPad.. Yes?
    That's how people share pics now days. I think a CD would be appropriate.

Good Luck
    Thanks! I know it is the norm today for photo sharing but I thought awhile back many on this site said it wasn't a good idea because then they can print them at a Walmart, drug store etc. showing less quality work then only being able to print them from Mpix off of my zenfolio site.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Thanks! I know it is the norm today for photo sharing but I thought awhile back many on this site said it wasn't a good idea because then they can print them at a Walmart, drug store etc. showing less quality work then only being able to print them from Mpix off of my zenfolio site.
    Denise, For $20 I would give them a CD where the images are watermarked and sized down for the web. You see some examples on my Flicker page. They post them on their facebook and it is more advertisement for me. Since they are watermarked they cannot print them from Walmart or anywhere else. If they want a full file CD the charge is $600.
    Congrats on going pro or simi-pro. I know you will do well.
    Keep us posted
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    Denise, For $20 I would give them a CD where the images are watermarked and sized down for the web. You see some examples on my Flicker page. They post them on their facebook and it is more advertisement for me. Since they are watermarked they cannot print them from Walmart or anywhere else. If they want a full file CD the charge is $600.
    Congrats on going pro or simi-pro. I know you will do well.
    Keep us posted
    Thanks Mark! That is exactly what I will do, offer the web-sized & watermarked images and see how that works out.

Denise:

Congratulations... this decision has been a long time coming.

Having people pick the shots they want to purchase off your web site seems reasonable, and having them professionally printed is a good way to start.

This was a hard decision for you to make, and I think you made the right decision. Now that you have chosen to go forward, please keep in mind that in front of your clients you need to project confidence (and you have every reason to). If you do , then they will have reason to have confidence in you, and are likely to buy more.

Good luck.

Pat
    Last edited by conropl; 07-04-2012 at 02:09 AM.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Denise:

Congratulations... this decision has been a long time coming.

Having people pick the shots they want to purchase off your web site seems reasonable, and having them professionally printed is a good way to start.

This was a hard decision for you to make, and I think you made the right decision. Now that you have chosen to go forward, please keep in mind that in front of your clients you need to project confidence (and you have every reason to). If you do , then they will have reason to have confidence in you, and are likely to buy more.

Good luck.

Pat
    Thanks, Pat! I hear what you are saying and I will most definitely work on the confidence issue. Also, anytime before a shoot I will study other online photos for ideas on locations, poses, etc. so I'm not stumbling over ideas when I get there.

I am hoping that with my lower rates, families that are tight for cash in this economy will at least call for less expensive senior portraits to start with. We will see!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    Also, anytime before a shoot I will study other online photos for ideas on locations, poses, etc. so I'm not stumbling over ideas when I get there.

I am hoping that with my lower rates, families that are tight for cash in this economy will at least call for less expensive senior portraits to start with. We will see!
    I also ask my customers if they have any ideas in mind. I have had customers bring a magazine to show me someting they like. Now days they pull their phone out and show me Pintrist photos.
    I have created a facebook page for my business seporate from my personal page. When I shoot seniors I post a few of their photos on my facebook and tag them. When I do that all their friends see them. Instant advertising. It is awsome
    Mark

I suppose it depends on who you are selling to. For instance the photog at the sons graduation only sells his over priced prints.

I have seen some photographers advertise that they give out low quality jpg's on disc, so that people are forced to use their print services. It is a marketing strategy, and if you are not using this strategy to make money off prints it would make no sense to do this.

If you are not making anything off of prints, and you just offer it as a service personally I see nothing wrong with giving out a disc in the highest quality possible.

Here is a thought, to counter the reasoning you described. If you only do prints, and the person wants to display it on his facebook page he will scan it. Would you rather have you're work seen by thousands on the internet with a bad scan, or would you rather have that person have a bad print that a few people see because he printed at Walmart?

Since you are selling your service by the hour, if you are not making money off prints just make sure your client knows that for quality prints he can go to you're recommended lab. You could even put a label on the disc pointing the person to your print site to make prints. Something like this "For quality prints of you're pictures go to www.dtrociophotography.com "

Edit; marketing hint, get your we page and email address in the body of the advertisment. It doesn't have to display as a link, but that way they can cut and paste it in the browser.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 07-04-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post

Edit; marketing hint, get your we page and email address in the body of the advertisment. It doesn't have to display as a link, but that way they can cut and paste it in the browser.
    Oops!! Thank you so much for mentioning that! My daughter told me to do that and I totally forgot to! She is sitting right by me watching TV as I was reading your post and now she is yelling at me ...LOL! "I told you to do that, didn't you do that?" Off I go to edit it now!