Thread: Suggestions Please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Suggestions Please

Okay, so it's time to fish for suggestions as to a new gear bag since my collection has completely outgrown the old one.

I need to fit a 1D mk2 with L plate, 30D with grip and body plate, 50 1.8, extender 1.4x, 70-200 2.8, 100-400L, 24-105L, 16-35L, 100mm macro (all with hoods reversed), remote switch, 30ft extension cord, 430ex and 580ex flashes (preferably in their pouches), Sto-Fen diffusers for both flashes, off-shoe cord and miscellaneous accessories (spare batteries, cards, filters, etc.).

I've been managing with the old bag by attaching some of the lenses in separate cases to the strap, but it's becoming a bit unwieldy as the collection increases.

Anyway, I'm looking for good shoulder bag ideas... no backpacks please (if I'm heading somewhere that requires a backpack, I generally prioritize the lenses I'll end up needing and put everything in my regular frame pack along with everything else I need for the trip). Any ideas would be wonderful, especially if the cost isn't too much more than $200 USD.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Suggestions Please

The older you get and the bigger your equipment collection gets, the more you'll appreciate a bag with wheels and a telescoping handle. Shoulder bags are great forrough terrain outdoors, but give me wheels and a level path!

It seems like a shoulder bag would be too small for the job. Check out the Lowepro Commercial, that's one of the shoulder bags that will hold all your stuff.

A backpack would be more comfortable to carry around as the bag which contains all your stuff is not going to be weightless. My Nature Trekker will do and it's comfortable for the trips (largest carry on backpack for flights). I don't find myself carrying all my gear (in fact, not even half) when I'm going for a photo shoot event. I need such big volume only when I'm travelling for months and I need to take all my gear.

A bag with wheels makes sense too, depending what you're going to use it for.

The backpack won't work since anywhere I go that requires a backpack also involves things other than cameras (clothes, food, tent, ice axe, etc... the camera gear generally gets packed in waterproof bags with silica gel and then wrapped in a thick layer of clothing when it goes into my frame pack or day pack - the lenses also stay in their cases for extra protection when possible). The Commercial looks like a reasonable option though, and a rolling bag isn't a bad idea either.

I suppose I should have mentioned that I won't necessarily be carrying all my gear everywhere, since I generally take only what I anticipate needing for each situation... what I'm really after is something to store all of it for long(er) trips. I'll still be keeping my smaller bag (a Lowepro Nova 4) for shorter-term packing around of stuff.

Thanks for the replies.

One last thought concerning trips: If you're going to travel and other folks are going to manhandle your stuff, make sure all your components are shock-protected! A Pelican case works well when shipping sensitive camera gear because they come in many sizes and the foam internior can be made to conform to any array of odd-shaped items. The plastic shell is extrememly tough and water-sealed. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for. If you're a real packrat and need to haul a lot, get an equipment trunk. I don't use one, but I hear they're handy for lighting and other bulky items (look at an SBC case with wheels).