Thread: Sample shots from Sigma 120mm-400mm (including Hummingbirds)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sample shots from Sigma 120mm-400mm (including Hummingbirds)

This guy was funny. I actually got several shots of the hummingbirds perched (which you don't see often). He looks like he's checking me out... wondering what I'm aiming at him.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.44/hummingbird3.jpg[/img]

I have another version of this one, about the same quality, with it's wings in the forward position.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.44/hummingbird2.jpg[/img]

This third one is actually the first time I caught one of them (these were all taken Sunday).

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.44/hummingbird1.jpg[/img]

Re: Sample shots from Sigma 120mm-400mm (including Hummingbirds)

I wanted to post 100% crops so people can get an idea of what the lens can (or can't) do, unfortunately if I could post the full shot of this squirrel you'd see it's back right foot is missing, just a stump. Obviously healed ok and he gets around well enough you wouldn't notice unless you got a good look at him.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.44/stumpysquirrel1.jpg[/img]

Last example... the Blue Jay. Again, didn't want to post huge pics so the tail is cropped out, but if gives you a good look at the image potential.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.44/bluejay.jpg[/img]

Re: Sample shots from Sigma 120mm-400mm (including Hummingbirds)

Ok, these are full zoom (400mm) 100% crops shot using the "Sport/Speed" setting on a 50D with the Sigma 120-400, hand held (resting elbow on deck railing) autofocusing with the IS on. No filter, no editing at all. These are the full size (about 5MB) JPG's (i.e. not taken from the RAW's - which I do have, was just too lazy to use them). These crops are in the 60-90kb area.