Thread: B+W polarizers-differences?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

B+W polarizers-differences?

So I'm looking into buying a polarizer. Can anyone tell me the appreciable differences between teh B+W Circuluar Multi-coated polarizer and the B&W 77mm Kaeseman Circular Polarizer Coated Filter?

Is the Kaeseman version not multi-coated? B&H has a similar Kaesman, but the model number is slightly different. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: B+W polarizers-differences?

I believe the difference between these is that the Kaeseman accomplishes "Weather Sealing" while the other does not.

From their own website:

MRC...

Highly efficient standard circular polarizing filter for all cameras with
    beam splitters in the light paths of their TTL exposure meter and with autofocus
    lenses. Circular polarization has the same pictorial effect as linear polarization,
    but allows for proper exposure metering and/or autofocus distance settings.

<span class="list-text"]B+W Polarizers increase color saturation
    and reduce reflections. The neutral gray color and plane parallel polarizer
    material guarantee optimal image results. High-quality optical glass ensures
    excellent pictorial quality. The filter factor varies according to how the
    filter is positioned in relation to the sun. Filter factor is between 2.3 and

Kaeseman...

The &ldquo;high-end&rdquo; polarizing foils of the K&auml;semann-type filters
    are neutral in color, they have a higher efficiency
    than conventional polarizing foils and they are cemented between high-grade
    plano-parallel optical glass. The resulting sandwich is then precision-polished
    again to achieve highly accurate plano-parallel surfaces. Subsequently they
    are edge-sealed to protect the foil against humidity. Brass mounts made on CNC-controlled machines ensure
    precise seating on the lens. Discriminating photographers regard the B+W K&auml;semann-Type
    Polarizing Filter to be the very best of all polarizing filters. They are well
    suited for applications that require the highest possible imaging quality,
    especially with high-speed telephoto lenses and apochromatic lenses.

Not paying attention when I was ordering resulted in me becoming the owner of an uncoatedB+W circular polarizer. It's very sensitive to washing out whenever light hits it, so I have to be judicious with the hood (and it's not easy to manipulate the filter with the hood on). My advice: order carefully, and if the price seems low, you're probably looking at the uncoated version.

Jeff