Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 5DMII failures...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon 5DMII failures...

I was seriously considering upgrading my 5D to a 5D Mark II until I read about these failures...

(click link, scroll down to "failures")

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...9-worked.shtml

Anyone else experience 5D Mark II problems?

More depressing is this link wich compares shutter life actuations. Click on the column to the right to see where your Canon compares.

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/nikon_d3.htm

Don't get me wrong here, I love my Canon 5D, and have a huge investment in canon glass. I just wish Canon would wake up improve their hi-end products!!! COME ON CANON!!!

Re: Canon 5DMII failures...

I've had mine for just over 2 months and it's been the best! Absolutely no problems at all. It's better than the 5D in all respects. As for your link, I think the high rate of failures may have been due to pushing the added weather sealing too hard.
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]Some of the pluses that I haven't seen written up elsewhere is that the sensor cleaner is great to have. Dust use to be a big problem with the 5D. It's a lot better with the 5D Mark II but you still have to be careful when changing lenses to limit ingestion of dust particles.
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]I really griped about the change in batteries as my 5D spares were no longer compatible. Now, I'm quite amazed how durable the new battery is. On my last shoot I still had 47% power left after shooting 968 shots and I was shooting around the freezing point. I'm probably still going to get another spare when I can find one but I'm not going to need two spares.
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]There's a lot of griping about the AF system being carried over from the 5D but it appears to work better picking up better on quickly moving objects. There seems to be some hesitation sometimes but it may be due to foibles of the lens. The 5D Mark II isn't a wildlife camera but I think I'm getting more keepers shooting at wild birds than with the 5D. I'm still doing field testing on this.
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"]The slight improvement is frames per second is also helpful when shooting wild life. It's definitely a noticeable.

Thanks for the interesting link on shutter life.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear good feedback about the 5DMII. I'm probably going to get one anyway, but I like to research first, before I race to buy something new.

I wish Canon would do a better job though. I don't understand why they sacrifised wanted features for video and more pixels. I'm very happy with 12 megapixels!\

I was so hoping for weather sealing and faster and improved focusing.

I also read about some people having problems with the fit of the battery grip.

Also, that black specular highlight problem! At least they fixed it with a firmware upgrade.

CANON - Listien to your customers - PLEASE !!

BTW, Thanks for responding to my post.

Canon already had all that in a camera, the 1Ds III. I feel like Canon was hooking me up by giving the same if not better image quality for 40% of the price.

I love my 5D2. Is it everything I want in a camera? NO. The 1Ds is. Can I justify the price for what I use my camera for? NO. So I love my 5D2.

I have not experienced any problems other than occasionally my image doesn't hold on the LCD, then I have to turn it off and back on.

okay.. so they're whining about the mkII failing in extreme environments.. while in the same breath admitting that canon doesn't state that it's designed for those conditions? i love luminous-landscape.. but that's pretty freaking stupid.

right now, the 5dmkII delivers image quality on par with the 1dsmkIII, and even includes some great features that it doesn't have.. but that extra four grand still has to buy you something. if i had the money to go on some of those extreme photography adventures, i'd pony up and buy the 1ds.. if i'm shooting around town or at a corporate event.. i'll pack my 5dmkII.

..oh, and dude, muggle.. upgrade. seriously. you won't regret it.

i'm in the caribbean with my mkII right now, and it's a dream. just scored me a 16-35 II in st. maarten to go with it.

hey, atticusdsf

Where in SXM did you get your lens? I'm looking for a good pro photo shop in the area.

Thanks,

-truth

"the seiko house".. it's a small shop on the dutch side.. i bought my first camera there, and always make it a point to stop in whenever i visit. ask for ronnie.

Thank you! Will do. Do you happen to have a phone number for them?

You get what you pay for. That said, did you read the full report? Amongst other things, a Nikon lens came apart. That should be a sign that treacherous conditions were the norm for that trip.

I have a 1D3 and several L lenses. I know which ones I'll take out in poor conditions, and which ones I won't.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.