Thread: RadioPopper Issues...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RadioPopper Issues...

So I got my JrX Studio kit and a third PX Receiver in the mail yesterday... without a battery cover for my PX Receiver. Irritating, but whatever.

I happily removed all of the RP related velcro from my flashes, without thinking (duh) that the new mount won't fit on my softbox or in the triflash head that I have. I wanted to see if I could just elastic band the receivers on with half of the bracket still attached so I gave it a shot... and the flashes wouldn't fire. I wasn't sure if it was the receiver or the alignment, so I tried putting just the flash in the mount.... and no luck.

Turns out that they shipped me a BRAND NEW PX receiver that has firmware that's too old (ver 6.03) to receive JrX signals (ver 6.04 req'd)... in the same shipment as a JrX studio kit. I love these guys' product but stuff like this is just ridiculous... I mean I was kinda choked when I found out I'd have to send in my other two receivers (they KNEW the JrX's were "just around the corner"... they make them after all) but whatever. But having an outdated model sent WITH the JrXs??? Not cool...

I still haven't heard back from them about how the firmware gets upgraded, but if it means my paying for shipping both ways or a service charge or something similar then they're going to be getting a return in the box rather than an upgrade... I'll post when I get an answer (Tuesday, no doubt, with the long weekend and all), and I REALLY want it to be a good one, but with stuff like this I'm not sure I'm holding my breath...

Re: RadioPopper Issues...

iculpin,

Thanks for sharing this stuff with us. It's good to know. What a shame, these guys just seem to constantly keep shooting themselves in the foot. The product, on paper looks awesome, but with all the delays and screw-ups like this you've gotta wonder about the viability of a company like this. This is just one more mark in the "Con" column that keeps people like me from rushing to invest.

Please keep us updated on how things are resolved. This will really speak volumes about their seriousness as a market contender.

So shockingly :O I got a PHONE CALL today (missed it though :P) apologizing profusely for the lack of battery cover and that they'd express me one immediately... which on the one hand seems kinda dumb for something that's probably worth a cent and smaller than my pinky :P but the fact that they're doing it is awesome (and a relief, I didn't really feel like wrapping my new equipment with gaffer tape :P). Still haven't heard about the upgraded firmware (apparently that's a "different department") but I'm told they'll be getting back to me shortly...

Maybe there is hope yet :P

After waiting another week for a response on the firmware, I contacted them again yesterday. This is the response I received:

"Leigh,
    The firmware upgrade should be available in about 2-3 weeks.
    We are not exactly sure what the process is because everything is
    still being finalized. When it is available we will post it to our
    website and our blog. We appreciate your continued patience."

Err... is it just me, or does everything on the radiopopper site indicate that the JrX and PX system should mesh out of the box? Nevermind that it's going to be another month before they've even figure out HOW they're going to make it happen? *sigh*