Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 60D or T3i

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon 60D or T3i

So the new Canon T3i is announced and will be arriving in March. I am totally confused which one to buy Canon 60D or Canon T3i. I have checked the specification on canon website and they both look very identical? Which one should I buy?

Re: Canon 60D or T3i

Welcome to the forum.

Canon recently adjusted their lineup making this choice harder, and I can
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I've had my 7D for a bit under a year now (similar feel to the 60D than the rebel), but every so often I still stroll over to the camera section at my local electronics store. I'm reminded every time I play with the Rebels, how I made the right choice by going with the larger body.

I don't exactly have big hands, but with the rebel my finger tips can't help but dig into the rubber because of how small the overall grip is. My finger tips felt like I was holding onto my guitar fret after 5 minutes...Ok a bit exaggerated, but I agree whole heartedly that the "feel" of the camera is VERY important! But we all hold our cameras differently, so trying them out yourself would be best!

Usually only the Rebel lines are out on display, but if you ask they'll take the lock and keys from behind the shelf and show you any camera/lens combination you want []

I just got my 60D and it

Since the price difference is only $100, I see no reason not to buy a 60D unless it

The 60D doeshave a wireless flash transmitter. The only feature I'm aware of that the T3i has that the 60D does not is video crop modes.

Personally I'd recommend the 60D since right now it isn't much more expensive and you get a bigger body with nicer controls, better viewfinder, better autofocus system, and a top LCD.

I'd also consider picking up a lens right now since you can get double rebates when you buy the 60D.
    - Trowski

I would go for the 60D for the reasons John mentioned- especially bigger viewfinder, shorter VF blackout and shutter lag, plus the larger grip.

If I wanted something more portable and only planned to use small lenses, or if I was interested in the video features, I might consider the rebel. But the 60D just seems like more camera for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by mistry_111
    So the new Canon T3i is announced and will be arriving in March. I am totally confused which one to buy Canon 60D or Canon T3i. I have checked the specification on canon website and they both look very identical? Which one should I buy?

First I will qualify this, because I own neither of these bodies. I did some reading on canon's website and these were the opinions I had with the info I saw and having owned 4 different canon bodies in the last two years.

First take everyones opinion with a grain of salt. You are asking this question in a forum where most people are serious about their hobby, or work. So I think most will recommend the 60D. Had you said 7D then that would have been the one of choice. Only when you start comparing the 7D to the 5D II do you need to start analyzing your shooting style to see which is best.

Two differences I see, and some have mentioned, is that the viewfinder is different on the 60D. These are common cameras at the camera store, I would pick both up and compare side by side what difference that makes. Since they have different mirror systems and the mirror system is used with the AF system, it would make me wonder if the T3i has a cheaper AF system as well.

The second is Faster frame rate of the 60D will be a big plus if you want to shoot action like the kids running around the yard, or sports.

Now one point not so noticeable but I would bet is there. Although this my fall in line with some of my other conspiracy theories. Both have the same sensor, its the same as the one in the 7D. But they do not have the same firmware that runs the camera. What kind of IQ comes out of the camera may not be the same and I will bet the firmware makes this so. I would almost bet if you took the TSi, 60D and 7D and used the exact same lens and took the exact same pic with the exact same set up the three pics are not going to be identical. Each would be better than the lower one in order. Think about it, otherwise why would a person buy the 7D when the cheapest rebel would produce the same results?

If your serious, buy the best you can get. Ask about lenses here as well, the lens does more for your Image Quality than the camera in most cases (probably all).

If you want one that is good at taking pictures of the kids and family, either will do the job very well.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies, that really helped me out

As you all are pointing out the major advantages of 60D I think I should go with 60D since it will be probably a better choice for me in long run. As the price difference is not much than going with 60D is not a bad idea.

Also I have found this Canon T3i vs 60D.

Quote Originally Posted by mistry_111

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies, that really helped me out

As you all are pointing out the major advantages of 60D I think I should go with 60D since it will be probably a better choice for me in long run. As the price difference is not much than going with 60D is not a bad idea.

Also I have found this Canon T3i vs 60D.

I think you made a good choice going with Canon 60D, you wont regret.