Thread: Head butting for lunch . . .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Head butting for lunch . . .

The Big Horn sheep were out again yesterday. They found some hay that a rancher put out and promptly went to lunch. Two of the rams were bumping heads trying to get to [img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.66/IMG_5F00_2684cr.jpg[/img]the best stuff. Shot with a 5D MkII, 300mm F4L, 1/1000 sec, F8 first shot, F7.1 second shot, ISO 400.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.66/IMG_5F00_2701cr.jpg[/img]

Re: Head butting for lunch . . .

Again, very good [Y]

Great shots. But I have a question for everybody in relation to this picture. To me the scene seems a bit static, what would be the best way to create more motion in the shot? Just a slower shutter speed?

Look for different ways of composing these shots if you want them to be more dynamic. For example:

- Shoot it from an unusual angle

- Shoot it diagonally (diagonals make for less static images)

- Perhaps add some vignetting to put emphasis on the part of the picture where the action is?

...that sorta thing. I once saw a shot of a flock of sheep with the camera on the ground and all you could see was legs and legs and grass and some heads wayyyy up. It was very dynamic and original and even though the sheep were static, they were anything but static from that angle.

Good luck.

I do like the pictures by the way!

PS: I did this in like two minutes as a quick sqetch: cropped it to emphasize the diagonals of the antlers and some vignetting as well as some emphasis on the eyes. It looks to artificial but that is because it's a rush job:
    [img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.11/IMG_5F00_5F00_5F00_2701_5F00_quick_5F00_test.jpg[/img]

PP is a winner [H]

I think a little more saturation might add life. The vignetting did help.

Thanks for the comments. I like the suggestions and your quick Photoshop work looks great. I have lots to learn on it and appreciate the advice.