Thread: Error 20

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Error 20

Good Afternoon
    New to the forum and to cameras. I am trying to gather information for my brother. He has a EOS 7D and it shows error 20. I read through the forums but did not learn alot. He sent it in to Canon, it is not in warranty, and they told him $2500 to repair but would not say what the problem was. He said no return it so they did. Cannot believe repairs are more than a new camera. He now has a expensive paperweight. Anyone have any new ideas not already posted.
    Thanks for the info
    Pam

It's been talked about on this forum before and thankfully I have never seen it on my camera. Something to do with the shutter mechanism normally. Shouldn't cost $2500 to fix it though. Thought shutter price was about $250-300 US dollars. Wonder if they found out more that was wrong with it than just the shutter (maybe from an accidental fall) because the price they quoted is the full price of a new one. Wish I had better news for ya.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

How was the camera behaving when the error message came on?

Error 20 is a mechanical problem as opposed to an electrical problem, it's usually the mirror box assembly or shutter. I would also guess about $250-300 US dollars.

How could it be $2500 the camera only costs $1600? What currency are using?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane View Post
    Error 20 is a mechanical problem as opposed to an electrical problem, it's usually the mirror box assembly or shutter. I would also guess about $250-300 US dollars.
    This is the same error that my 5DII encountered. The camera would not go beyond the error message, regardless of how the camera was dealt with (removal of the battery, new battery, CF card removal, etc.).

The cost was $201. So, there is no way that it would cost $2500. Like Richard says, it's nonsense for Canon to "repair" at $2500, when a new camera is far less money.