Thread: PSE 8 vs. 9

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PSE 8 vs. 9

Time for me to start my winter to-do list!

#1 Learn Photoshop Elements! Months & months ago I bought PSE 8 but never really had the time to learn how to do much in it ...ok anything in it! So I bought a great how-to book and I'm ready to learn ...except now I see there is a PSE 9 available! [:|]

From what I saw on the videoclips on Amazon, the 9 version looks like there are a lot more "easier" ways available to do things. I like the sound of that! Easy is a good thing for me! I also found a good Scott Kelby book to go along with it!

So, does anyone here use version 8 or 9? Is there enough difference between the two for it to be to my benefit to learn from version 9 and sell version 8 or give it to my daughter if she wants it?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Denise

Re: PSE 8 vs. 9

Denise---Think LR3---And.....If your daughter is in school, or anyone else you know such asfriends that are school teachers or college professors? They can get LR3 for the same price you can buy Elements---just an Idea []. I would get it for you but I have already used my discount on me--[:$]

Bob
    Bob

Denise

I have been using PSE5 for quite a while now. I just downloaded the PSE9 for a 30 day trial. I do not see that it is any easier than ver. 5 but it does have a few new tools that ver 5 does not. BTW, Adobe has PSE, LR and PS for a 30day free trial.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    I do not see that it is any easier than ver. 5 but it does have a few new tools that ver 5 does not.

Hmmm...I would think there'd be even less a difference then going from 8 to 9. I would download the free trial of 9 just tocompare but hard to give it a good comparison evaluationwhen I don't know how to use either very well.

LR3 was more appealing when it was priced lower a few weeks ago.

The big improvement in 9 that I know of, is that they partially added the CS5 content-aware fill. It
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston

It's only available as part of the spot healing brush in PSE9,
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

This is the main reason I downloaded PSE9 to try for 30 days. It works great. I think I'll be upgrading at the end of the 30 days.

(and I prefer to use DPP and GIMP).
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I have GIMP on my machine. I find it hard to use. I am sure it is probably that my brain is so use to PSE that I just can't seem to figure it out.

Mark
    Mark

Perhaps you can get hold of your grand-daughters report cards, and use them to get yourself the educational discount on CS5, LR3, or whatever you end up choosing.

My oldest granddaughter is only 2 ...hmmm ...that would be nice if pre-schools offered discounts!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams
    Denise---Think LR3---And.....If your daughter is in school

Don't get me started on my daughter NOT being in school! Who ever heard of an honors student NOT going on to college! While she's still trying to figure it all out, now it's costingME more in photo-editing software!

I've thought of LR3 but PSE is only $54 right now on Amazon plus I downloaded LR3's free trial and couldn't quite figure it all out but doesn't it do substantially less that PSE? Maybe I better take another look at it.

Denise

Hi Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    plus I downloaded LR3's free trial and couldn't quite figure it all out but doesn't it do substantially less that PSE? Maybe I better take another look at it.

If you're at all still considering LR3, there's a great website I recently used as a training resource for LR3.

www.lynda.com

A professional photographer named Chris Orwig did a video series on LR3 that I found very helpful.....

Damian

Quote Originally Posted by DLS

Hi Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    plus I downloaded LR3's free trial and couldn't quite figure it all out but doesn't it do substantially less that PSE? Maybe I better take another look at it.

If you're at all still considering LR3, there's a great website I recently used as a training resource for LR3.

[url="http://www.lynda.com]www.lynda.com[/url]

A professional photographer named Chris Orwig did a video series on LR3 that I found very helpful.....

Damian

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I agree, I have been using Lynda.com off and on for three years. I find it is the quickest way to learn a newpiece of software and Chris Orwig really does a great job explaining Lightroom. Lynda.com does offer a few free videos to give you a feel for what they offer. Also,When you buy Lightroom, Adobe used to provide(I don't know if they still do)a list of coupons from which you can choose, and a free 30 day subscription to Lynda was on that list. They also have videos on Elements as well. When buying software, usually over $100, I think its well worth the $25 for a month to learn the software. Its much better than spending your time searching the help files.

Bob
    Bob