Thread: Glass Screen Protectors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Glass Screen Protectors

LCD glass screen protectors have a lot of good comments. However, some say like in Canon's case don't waste your money. Canon's bodies have a protector already over the screen. When you get ready for a new one just order from Canon (supposedly at a reasonable price). I also wonder how difficult installation is?

Re: Glass Screen Protectors

I'd get a screen protector and have my piece of mind.

You might want to look at the Invisible Shield from Zagg. It's made from plastic, but it's extremely resistant to scratches. It protects very well. I use it on practically everything I own that has an LCD screen.

I will second Sean's Invisible Shield from Zagg endorsement. Following a recommendation -- maybe Sean -- I tried the Zagg product and am quite pleased. They take a little patience during installation, but once on they are on for keeps. After my 50D, I ordered them for anything I can get them for with a screen. The kid's Gameboy DS's, my families 570IS P&S cameras, 580EX flash, etc. I do not have any complaints. They do not protect against impact, but do prevent the dreaded scratch. If my kids cannot scratch them, it cannot be done. []

Also, depending on how much your order, you can get 20 or 30% discount and free shipping all the time.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by king-fish

LCD glass screen protectors have a lot of good comments. However, some say like in Canon's case don't waste your money. Canon's bodies have a protector already over the screen. When you get ready for a new one just order from Canon (supposedly at a reasonable price). I also wonder how difficult installation is?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I don't know if *all* models of Canon bodies have a replaceable LCD cover, but I do know that the 5D Mark II does. It is cheap and simple to replace. At first I was really worried about scratches on the display, but once I heard that it was easily serviceable (suction cup!), I totally relaxed. Some "protectors" are actually more expensive than the OEM replacement cover! And the best part is that you don't have to sacrifice viewing quality. Anything additional that goes on top of the screen means another layer for the light to have to pass through.

If you are concerned, call up Canon and ask them if your camera model has a user-serviceable rear LCD screen cover. It should, but if not, I would recommend a simple plastic film to prevent scratches, but nothing fancy.

I've never taken the original plastic film of of my 10D's LCD. [:O]

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    At first I was really worried about scratches on the display, but once I heard that it was easily serviceable (suction cup!), I totally relaxed.

Are you saying that the plastic cover that says "Canon" on it comes off with a suction cup, and that you can put another on? If so, how do you make the new one stay on?

Peace of mind....

Checkout: http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.camera%20screen%20protectorI have a GGS on my 450D and took a key to it, no damage, not even a mark.

Hope this helps...
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Giottos!