Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17-55mm usm & low light

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

17-55mm usm & low light

I'm heading to Seoul National Museum in a few weeks and just wondering if the 17-55mm is good in very low light situations. I read in one of Scott Kelby's books that buying a cheapish 50mm lens with 1.4 or 1.8 aperture is great for low light situations such as church weddings but of course SNU is darker than any church I have been to. So is the 17-55mm great for museums or is the cheap 50mm the way to go?

Re: 17-55mm usm & low light

I'd go with the 17-55mm, especially since you already have it. I'm assuming you mean for taking pictures of the exhibits, not people. It's an important difference - f/1.8 is 1.33 stops faster than the f/1.8 of the 17-55mm. An f/1.4 lens is 2 stops faster. But, the 17-55mm has IS which is good for about 3 stops, meaning it's effectively better in low light. But IS only helps with static (non-moving) subjects. So, if you're shooting exhibits in low light the 17-55mm will be better, but if you're shooting people in low light, the faster prime will be better.

EDIT: One more thing to consider - if the museum does not have a no-tripod policy, bring a tripod. That will give you the best possible low-light performance, regardless of lens. Most museums in the US prohibit tripod use, but most will allow a monopod. No matter which lens you use, a support will help in low light.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Most museums in the US prohibit tripod use, but most will allow a monopod. No matter which lens you use, a support will help in low light.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Most museums in the US I have been to do not allow photography at all.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb
    Most museums in the US I have been to do not allow photography at all.

Interesting! Most that I have been to, in California and New England, prohibit flash photography (potential damage to artwork/exhibits) and tripods (my guess there is liability for someone tripping over the extended legs), but not photography as a whole. Although, since so many people with P&amp;S cameras have no idea how to deactivate the flash, the general prohibition is probably wise...

I love the 17-55, but for the situation you're describing, I think it'll be a little too dark. Even spending $90 on the 50 1.8 would be worth it. I shoot a lot of low light shots, and there's a big difference between my 50 1.8 and my 17-55 2.8.

Then again, if it's a museum, the exhibits will be pretty well-lit, right? If you're just shooting exhibits and not people, i think the 17-55 would be OK.

F:/2.8 is generally too slow for indoors. I have tried with my 5D MK II, at ISO 3200.

If you are using a crop camera, large aperture prime is best. Make sure it is wide enough, for a building interior, you will need a very wide lens.

Quote Originally Posted by scalesusa

F:/2.8 is generally too slow for indoors. If you are using a crop camera, large aperture prime is best.

I think this depends on the subject. An f/2.8 lens with a 3-stop image stabilizer allows you to shoot at shutter speeds you'd need f/1.0 to achieve on a non-IS lens. Canon doesn't currently make a prime with an aperture larger than f/1.2. As long as the subject is immobile (I don't mean people posing - I mean static exhibits like art and sculpture, architecture, etc., and theOP is going to a museum), you'll be better off with f/2.8 + IS. Certainly, if you are shooting people or anything else with the ability to move, IS will not help and in that case, a large aperture prime is best. (That's one reason the 35mm f/1.4L is on my wish list.)

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Quote Originally Posted by scalesusa

F:/2.8 is generally too slow for indoors. If you are using a crop camera, large aperture prime is best.

I think this depends on the subject. An f/2.8 lens with a 3-stop image stabilizer allows you to shoot at shutter speeds you'd need f/1.0 to achieve on a non-IS lens. Canon doesn't currently make a prime with an aperture larger than f/1.2. As long as the subject is immobile (I don't mean people posing - I mean static exhibits like art and sculpture, architecture, etc., and theOP is going to a museum), you'll be better off with f/2.8 + IS. Certainly, if you are shooting people or anything else with the ability to move, IS will not help and in that case, a large aperture prime is best. (That's one reason the 35mm f/1.4L is on my wish list.)
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Also: the 50 1.8 at 1.8 isn't tack sharp--and that's a tricky DOF, too. You almost need to use that lens at 2.0 or 2.8 for sharpness if you're shooting objects at some distance.

Also: ya'll might be asking for better quality images than I'm achieving, but I've taken tons of photos in a dim chapel of moving subjects with the 24-70 2.8, which has no IS, and with a Rebel XSI, which has only the unusable ISO 1600 (and so I use 800), hand held. Not all of them are keepers, but many turn out beautifully. I would think the IS would be a huge advantage in the case of still objects in dim light. When I've used the 50 1.4 in the same conditions, again, I've had to stop down a bit to avoid soft images or blurriness.

You are correct, it does depend on the lighting and the subject. As long as the museum is empty, and no one is walking around to come between your camera and the item you are photographing, you can do a longish exposure. I've found that the crowding in museums makes it hard to do, and having the option of a fast shutter speed helps.

50mm F/1.8 1/60 sec ISO 3200, 5D MK II.

2.8 with IS can certainly be used well indoors.