Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best camera choise considering image quality only

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

best camera choise considering image quality only

Hello everyone, i would like to ask especially the experts or people who had or used both models: 1D Mark 3, 5D Mark 2, 7D

My question is: which camera is the best in image quality (please don't include the fact weather sealing, battery grip and these stuff). Can you rate them with a max score the 10 for me please?

I am an owner of a 50D at the moment, and my first model before the 50D, was the 400D.

50D is a good camera, but just this, 'good'. not excellent. the 15Mp and the high ISO don't do much about the quality. i am a wildlife photographer (not pro), but i want to take the best output from my camera, without much interfering by Photoshop and other things. I can't take good photos with ISO higher than 400, even in good light conditions. Above that, noise becomes quite apparent.

i 've seen images from a 5D2. i was impressed..So clear and no noise at all (my friend was using it with a Canon EF 500 f/4 IS, which is sure much better than my 100-400), but this body really delivers great images! when i compare it with my 50D. The only disadvantage this camera has is the fact that is full frame, which will make me to get very close to my subject, but..i can make more croping than with the 50D and still get better images i suppose..the fact it has 3,9 fps don't bothers me much.

Now, the 1D Mark 3 is very complicated case..i mean it has the stunning 10 fps which you can use in many cases, and a better AF system, but how much better image quality it produces compared with 50D, and with 5D2. It is overpriced for me i think,it is 2 years old model nowand also i believe soon Canon will release the new model, which will be more Mp (quite important for me, because if this camera was at least 12Mp i would think more for it), and even better in high ISO performance. An important think for me this camera has is the 1,3x sensor, which is better than the full frame in the final focal length.

As for 7D, i really doubt about being much better than the 50D, it has an improved AF system ok, and the 8fps, but if it's not much better in image quality and ISO performance, i think me as an owner of the 50D, it does not worth to spend money for little improvement (i don't care about the video stuff it has).

So, because soon i will have the 400L f/5,6 USM of Canon (which is better than the 100-400), please help me which model is the best for my update, because i will spend money and i want to keep it for at least 3-4 years. Should i wait for the 1D Mark 4?

Re: best camera choise considering image quality only

I always thought that high quality images are achieved by using high quality lenses. After all, that is the component that creates image on the image sensor. You can't expect the best quality image using the best camera without using the premium glass. I recommend that you keep the 50D, and rent a few L primes, and see if that's enough to convince you to invest in lenses, not the body.

I agree with the assumption that the lens plays a major role in image quality. I shoot with a 40D with 3 L lenses 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 IS, and the 85 1.2 II. I also own the nifty fifty and the 85 1.2 creates the best image quality then all the other lenses.

Look at the images that Nate (forgive me for not rememberingyour full name) has shot using a 40D and 400 5.6. He has some great images with that set up and recently upgraded to the 500 f4.

My 2 Cents

Thanks

Joel

Lenses pay a major role in image quality, but the camera is very important as well.

I have a 5dMKII and in my opinion it is the best image quality camera available in the Canon line, at the same level with 1Ds MKIII, but for a fraction of the price. I was ready to buy a 1Ds MKIII when the 5dMKII has been announced, and after reading Bryan test I bought it.

As far as the 1Ds MKIV, if there will be one next year nobody knows today Image definition, performance at high ISO, Price, so it is impossible to compare.

The 5D II has the highest image quality offered by Canon, but the 1ds III has image quality so close that I would not hesitate to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by George Spiridakis
    , i would like to ask especially the experts or people who had or used both models: 1D Mark 3, 5D Mark 2, 7D

I had a 1D3 before, now I have a 5D2. Never touched a 7D, but I've read about it.

My question is: which camera is the best in image quality?

Well, you weren't really specific about what you meant by "image quality", so I'll just go with my own idea about it if that's alright. [] For birding, the 7D easily wins, by a long shot. Here are the numbers I would give them:
    • 7D: 10
    • 1D3: 7
    • 5D2: 5

the 15Mp and the high ISO don't do much about the quality.

I know what you mean. If you compare the same angle of view from the 50D and 5D2, you have to crop the 5D2 down to 8 MP. At ISO 1600+, the 5D2 will have less noise but less detail. At low ISO, the 50D will have more detail and the same amount of noise.

The 7D changes that, though. It brings the high ISO performance up to the same level as a cropped 5D2, but still keeps the resolution advantage (18 MP vs 8 MP, and the same noise).

So for birding, the 7D has less noise than the 1D3 and 5D2, unless you don't have to crop.

As for 7D, i really doubt about being much better than the 50D,

At low ISO, the noise is not much improved. But at high ISO, it is noticeably better than the 50D.

The 7D is essentially the exact camera that birders have been waiting for. We've wanted a professional 1.6X crop for a long time, and it's finally here.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    The 7D is essentially the exact camera that birders have been waiting for.

You gotthat right![Y]

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    The 7D is essentially the exact camera that birders have been waiting for.

You gotthat right![img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

And those who are on a budget[:@] who want a pro body. [A]

I own 5D Mk II and some L lenses, recentlly just bought 1D Mk III for all kind action shots. As I know currentlly lots discount in new 1D Mk III, because of new version may release soon this year or next year, therefore I think its good time to get one. I am not Pro therefore I don't need super new version 1D Mk 4, and no point for me to spend lots money for new 1D Mk 4 body~

I used to own 500D which I found image/high ISO quality similar to 50D (from all kind of reviews etc...). And before I decide to buy 1D Mk III I actually compare lots reviews between 1D, 1Ds, 5D, 50D, 500D and 7D for image.high ISO quality, then I found high ISO quality in 1D Mk III should be better than 7D, 50D and 500D. But for image details (large print especially) 7D will be the best, and the question will be do you need it?

I shot slow moving objects by using 5D Mk II and for fast moving object 5D Mk II just too slow. For me 1D Mk III all about SPEED ! which I love it :P and ya you can use it in any kind of weather !!

So for any event I will carry both cameras, 5D Mk II attached 16-35mm L f2.8 USM II and 1D Mk III attached with 70-200mm L f2.8 IS USM etc....

My 2c~

george,...when it comes to IQ,...the lens is WHERE ITS AT!!!,...you got 4 classes on canon bodies, rebel, xxD models, 5D models, and 1d models....

My first camera was a an Original Rebel (300D) ,....used it for a while and then bought an "L" lens...and noticed an instant/noticeable difference to IQ. then i got my 5D and and WOW!!! exceptional IQ increase,...since then i have upgraded all my glass to "L" quality.......I hope to upgrade my 5D body to a newer 1d model for newer functions and better auto-focusing capabilities.......your 50D should show substantial IQ improvements with better Glass (lens')!!