Thread: 300mm2.8 MKll and 400mmMKll pre-order prices in Britain !!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

300mm2.8 MKll and 400mmMKll pre-order prices in Britain !!!

I received a January British camera magazine and it lists the pre-order prices for the new 2.8 MKll Canon 300 and 400mm lenses. Initially I would expect them to be high, but not this high.

The 300mm 2.8MKll is available for pre-order at 7400 pounds, in Australian dollars(for me) that is $11246. The Australian dollar has reached parity with the US dollar, so US prices and Aussie prices are getting closer.

But that is more than twice the price of the current 300mm 2.8. WOW.

The 400mm 2.8MKll is available for pre-oreder for 10000 British pounds. Or $15200. Not twice the price but getting close.

Is this standard pre-order pricing practice, orhas this retailer gone nuts? Or has Canon?

The 300mm and 1.4 combo, was looking appealing, I love the pictures posted on this site from the 300's. But not at these prices.

Back to reality, still hoping for a 100-400 upgrade or a 500 5.6 or a 400mm upgrade.

Keep saving.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Re: 300mm2.8 MKll and 400mmMKll pre-order prices in Britain !!!

Heya Steve,

when the new 70-300L was announced. The expected price was 1500USD(from the press-release). While the Euro and Pound are both much more worth than the USD. The pre-order prices were also 1500Pounds and 1500+Euros. These are with taxes though and I believe the American prices are so low since they are without taxes applied? I never understood that, but generally speaking prices in USD convert to prices in Euros 1:1. Unfortunately.

Also the new cnverters go for 500Euros here... which would be 668USD... I don

time to grab the old versions, before they

+1 on what Sinh said.

I have wanted a 400 2.8 for some time, and it looks like a good used/refurbed piece might be in my future, cause I sure wont spend 10K plus for the new one. I wish I knew what Canon is thinking on this price. Lower the price and get 2 times more units...

The best glass from Canon has always been their super-telephotos, and they are pricing the common man out. And even the not so common!

I am very interested to see how the prices of both version will go since the price of the new version has been set so high. will the new version worth the money? we will have the answer pretty soon. but one thing for sure IMHO, the prices of Canon gears will keep going up if the dollar keeps getting weaker.

To give you an idea of the price comparison for the old versions.

The 300mm 2.8 is3589 pounds, new MKll version is offered at a pre-order price is 7399 pounds.

At B&H old $4340 no new versionprice yet. So that gives you an idea of US dollar to british pound.

http://warehouseexpress.com/is the English website it says they are due March.

Hopefully these are only the pre-order prices and meant onlyfor people who have their own kingdoms floating on oil.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur