Thread: Which Lenses to Buy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which Lenses to Buy?

Hello there,

I am a keen amateur photographer and wanted to ask your opinion on which lenses I should consider buying for my new DSLR (either EOS 600d or the mysterious 650d that might be released in February…..). I have strong interests in macro photography and general wildlife photography. Ideally I would like to keep my budget as close to £1600 or $2500 for two lenses as I am a student (of course i don't particularly mind buying more expensive lenses second-hand). You seem to be the most knowledgeable reviewer that I have read, so I wanted to ask for your help with this decision, if you are able to give it?

I had previously considered both the Canon 18-135mm lens, but then decided I wanted something with a little more reach and therefore chose the Sigma 18-250mm, although I believe the 18-250mm to be a better lens overall than the 18-135 (better AF etc.) I am not entirely happy, what do I substitute for that extra focal length? - Also, because of my interest in Macro work I wanted this 'first' multipurpose zoom lens to have macro capabilities and am regrettably ready accept that 1:1 ratio will not be possible. Dedicated macro lenses with longer focal lengths are just so expensive!!

I also wanted the possibility of a super-telephoto (quick AF) zoom to photograph birds and wildlife that may be some distance away - the ideal lens seemed to be the Sigma OS 150-500mm as on the 1.6x crop body this 500mm maximum focal length would effectivley become about 645mm. However almost all reviews of this lens are at best mediocre. Will I have to substitute focal length for sharpness and image quality?

My basic question is this:

What multipurpose IS zoom lens (with macro capability) should I buy -> which lens will deliver the fastest AF, best quality and versatility within my price range [i.e. value for money]?

What secondary super-telephoto zoom lens should I buy with a view to photographing wildlife such as birds in flight that will deliver crisp 'nice' compositions within my price range?

Many thanks

You may want to post this in the lens section. This is the buy/trade section!
    Owner of Deevers Photography. If you have some time, visit my website at deeversphoto.com.