Thread: fusing old with new?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

fusing old with new?

Ok this may sound rediculouse, but i am new to all of this, and i have a burning question.

my dad has an old Minolta SRT-101 (film) camera. I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to adapt new canon lenses to this old camera. I don't know if they make adapters, or if this is just not possible. if anyone has any idea, or has herd of this, I would love to hear your feedback. It would be just awesome to use some of my new lenses on his old camera.

Thanks!

Re: fusing old with new?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallywho

my dad has an old Minolta SRT-101 (film) camera. I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to adapt new canon lenses to this old camera. I don't know if they make adapters, or if this is just not possible.

First, I think it would make a lot more sense to just fish an old Canon film camera out of a dumpster somewhere. People are literally throwing them away. Sometimes they try to sell them for $5 first ($20 for a really good one), but either way you should have no trouble getting one. You can even buy a top of the line 1V-series film camera for just a few hundred bucks.

Second, with the correct optical adapter, it would be possible. If they do exist, then they probably cost at least $200 and they would reduce image quality greatly, because they would have to have optical elements similar to a teleconverter in order to achieve infinity focus.

thanks for the incite. I will do some digging and see what i can find. thanks for the reply!

I bought a Canon 1V for $250. It is a sports car of a camera and a great lot of fun (I actually like film better than digital for the experience of shooting, still). 1Ns can be had for even cheaper. The EOS 3 cheaper yet still. They are all really fine cameras. Coupled with access to a decent scanner and you should be all set.

This may sound ridiculous, but just put the Minolta down and back away. I know it hurts, but in the end it is the best thing to do.

As Daniel said, image quality would be (paraphrasing here) terrible at best. You would get better results with a Rebel XS. If you want film get a good used 1V. If you are just trying for sentimental reasons use the Minolta with what it has and preserve it as a keepsake.

I speak from personal experience, I have a lot of Pentax that I just put away. It hurt to find out how little my bodies and lenses are worth. I keep them for sentimental value and the occasional film shot. I am thinking of have someone like KEH go through the bodies while I can still find someone who works on film slr's. The camera shop that I purchased them from and who used to service them now sends film models out for repair.

It is funny the difference in generations. I remember both, my kids know nothing of film and Saturday as I was shooting a dance someone asked me what kind of film my 50D used. Be kind, she was a senior citizen. []

Chris

ya this was more for my dad than anything. i just wanted to see if it was possible, and if it was relatively inexpensive, then i would do it. i have a 50d with some kick butt lenses, and i know the quality would not be as good.

but you guys seem to know a lot about this stuff, so i have a 50D do you know of any t-mounts/ telescope mounts that adapt to this camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallywho
    i have a 50D do you know of any t-mounts/ telescope mounts that adapt to this camera?

Yes. You can use an EF adapter.