Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs help --will be very much appreciated

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newbie needs help --will be very much appreciated

I just received a Canon 40D as a gift with EF-S 17-85mm IS lens. This is all I have. Really. I just switched from point and shoot so I am really "green". I apologize if my question will offend you but I could really use some help from you wonderful people....

I have been reading up on some lenses and I have a budget of aproximately $1,100.00

When I take my camera out to play (this is really what I do right now, I am soooo far away from taking the great images you all great people take, sigh), I feel like my lens is "too short" to catch my husband and dogs when they are in the distance and take nice pictures--well at least aspire to, LOL.

I gather I have what is called a general purpose lens, but is it good enough? I am considering getting 50mm f/1.4 prime for portait or fun pictures inside or just for testing ....but that will happen at Christmas. Unless you recommend otherwise.

So my question is...what should I get? I am not going to shoot insects, I do not care about taking pictures of birds, but trips to the park, backyard, beach, my two bulldogs just frankly not moving much but sleeping 20 hrs a day (I could hire a painter to capture these buggers, not sure I need high speed camera, LOL)... I just want a very good lenses I can grow with when I finally learn how to take pictures (still slaving through manual of my camera and very confused with everything, Ugh). I think when I finally stop obsessing and being scared, I may take interest in taking other kind of pictures and the resources will finally be there to go for a better cameras or lenses. For now I need to take it slow-er in order not to feel overwhelmed.

Please help one very confused woman. You can be as nice or as mean as you want, I can take it and I have no intention to respond impolitely. I will respectfully take EVERYONE's advice to heart. Thanks in advance.

Re: Newbie needs help --will be very much appreciated

You would do well with a general purpose telezoom like the 70-300or the28-135. These are light weight and fairly small so you should be able to carry them around all over in a small waist pack, or even your pockets.

Enjoy and have fun!

You will get lots of recommendations here. I myself started with a 70-200 F\4L IS USM, $1,100. You can get the non-IS model for $600 from B&H and the 50 F\1.4 for $325.

I agree wholeheartedly with Wes. The 70-200 F4L IS is excellent.

The 70-200 F4L is also good. The 50 mm is a good choice for low light.

Also perhaps consider a 430 EX Flash. Might really be useful indoors with those dogs and kids.

For $1,100, you can *really* expand the possibilities:
    • $90 50mm f/1.8
    • $550 Canon 70-300 IS
    • $270 430EX II Flash

The 50mm f/1.8 will let you experiment with thin DOF, and, at f/2.8 give you images that are as sharp as a tack.

The 55-250 is an inexpensive telephoto with good I.S. and respectable image quality. If telephoto is really important, you might consider the 70-300 IS ($600) or 70-200 IS ($1150) instead.

The flash will really expand the possibilities. Built-in flash cannot be moved and angled like the 430 allows for bouncing flash.

I think the 28-135 is a poor choice (high price, low quality, small range).

I agree with getting the 50 1.8 its inexpensive and great! The 70-200 F4 is also a great lens and is the least expensive out of the "L" series 70-200's.

The camera you have is a great camera, take all the suggestions to heart, and I dont think you have to worry about impolite responses on this forum, I have asked for help many of times, as well as tried to offer help and everyone on here is great.

Just make sure you post some pictures when you get a chance []

Thanks

joel

Thanks Joel for encouragement. I am however just starting and have plenty to learn. When you post a picture here, do you shrink it to some size? I took a few pictures in RAW and to share it with my family, I put it on Flickr in appr. 700X400. Is is too small or too large here?

Quote Originally Posted by BES

When you post a picture here, do you shrink it to some size?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yes - 800X600. And BTW, I'm having a similar problem and you might find my current thread helpful: Buying decisions

I'm watching this thread too []

OK, I am holding my breath and letting you see my first photographs I took. Please have mercy, it is really first time I have SRL in my hands so it is touch and go. I really have no idea what I am doing and neither do my dogs[] I hope to learn soon, it is really a lot of fun. Thanks for letting me share. I just joined this forum. I apologize if these photos are awful to you, I am just "crawling"....Maybe one day I will get to be as good as you guys, sigh....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3008/2592988927_0d3f6297e5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/2592950575_b9eb0408fe_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2775829747_3c9eba274c_o.jpg

The last photo is great! Keep shooting.