Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchase Debate - 1 decision down (Photos added)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Purchase Debate - 1 decision down (Photos added)

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]Hi All -

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]I have two purchases I am debating on that maybe you can help me with ...

#1 - My Induro CT213 tripodw/ CT213 ball has served me well and I in no way regret the purchase but it really is difficult to use for macro shots. I can never get close enough or the angle I want especially when photographing flowers and insects in my garden. That is why I sold my awesome macro slider and just resorted to hand-holding which of course doesn't always produce the sharpest shot. So now I am considering a tripod with a flexible center column. Back when i bought my current set-up, I didn't exactly what my needs would be being a newbie.

Now I am considering the ...

Benro C-297EX Carbon Flexpod EX - $289

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]Benro C-2970F - $354 . It's supposedly an improved C-297EX model but is the improvement really $65?

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]Vanguard Alta Pro 264AT Aluminum Alloy Tripod Legs w/ Multi-Angle Central Column System - $142. Would aluminum produce to much vibration?

I would probably sell my current set-up if the new legs proved to perform as well except for if I went aluminum just for macro work but should I keep my current ballhead?

With the flexpods, does anyone know how long the center column is? I can't find it in the specs. Also, do the feet secure in the ground well enough so there is no chance of tipping over or constant rocking two of the legs off the ground while you are trying to shoot?

I have to get ready for work now so I will be brief on my next debate ...

I am looking for a second (versatile yet SHARP) macro lens with a shorter focal length than my 100mm for occaisional use.

Choices ...

<span style="font-size: x-small;"]Sigma 50mm 2.8 Macro

Tamron 60mm 2.8 Macro

Any suggestions on my current insanity thoughts greatly appreciated!

Have a great day!

Denise

Re: Purchase Debate

Denise

I am probably not going to be much help, because I haven't owned either tripod. But what I have for the flowers and bugs in the garden is this:

[View:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/560661-REG/Gitzo_GT2541EX_6X_Carbon_Fiber.html]

I know it isn't in your price range, but let me give you some observations. When you start moving the arm to various positions, it pays to have a tripod that the legs are flexible and can go to any angle. Extending the arm one way or the other causes the pod to be unbalanced. A counter weight may be required, so the weight cuts the support rating of the tripod down since you have to take in to account the weight of the counter weight. That is why the gitzo tripod is rated at 11 pounds if it comes with the head, if you buy the tripod without the head the tripod is rated at 26.5 pounds.The gitzo head on this pod will adjust to any angle which is a real benefit for macro field work. Be aware of the miss leading advertising when looking at these tripods, while some say the arm can go vertical and horizontal or upside down, that is all they can do. The Gitzo can be positioned in any position at any angle. I found the off center ball head worked exceptionally well for macro, but probably because of the off set arm design it drifts a little when you set it and then after set it is solid. Don't get me wrong it worksgreat for macro, but I found it annoying otherwise and wouldn't recommend it for other types of work.

Also if the tripod arm on the Benro is not rock solid, its going to be very annoying and almost worthless. The locking mechanism needs to be very stable.

I don't know about those tripods, but the arm on the Gitzo is about a foot long. A foot is plenty, as the further you get away from the center of the tripod the more unbalanced it becomes, and the more you will need counter weights. You don't want a real long arm.

I had looked for just the arm and pivot head before I bought the Gitzo. The arm and pivot is really all you need if you could find it, I was unsuccessful in locating one. But it would be the cheapest way to go.

As for the lens, I recommend going the opposite direction, the 180mm L. The lens is slow, its heavy and the auto focus is awful, but for macro it is awesome.

Good Luck

Rick

Thanks for the info, RIck! To bad the Gitzo is out of my price range unless I wait it out a bit but if I were to spend that much, it would be my only set of legs for everything.

You are right, all I really need is the arm and pivot head ...if only I could find that to purchase seperately and attach it to my Unduro, that would be great!

Banned

Denise,

I have the vanguard. For the most part I have been very happy with it. As far as using the center column for macro shots, it excells. There is noticeable flex in the legs when they are fully extended in some situations, mostly for your day to day set up. My setup has gotten a lot heavier though. Bothers me a ton. It

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    , it would be my only set of legs for everything.

With your kit it could do it all. They definitly put a price on it that it should do about everything.

Good Luck

Denise,

I do not have any of your choices either, but I have this Manfrotto kit I got from Adorama:

https://www.adorama.com/BG055XPROBKC.html

If you do not need carbon-fiber it is a great set. The grip ball head is a personal preference, you can also get a standard ball head package too, I believe. I got mine when the 322RC was relatively new and it still serves me well. Adorama does have CF 3 and 4 section versions available if you need/want CF, with rebates as well. Either way, you get the center column which I think will help you with macro setups. I went with the aluminum over CF for price reasons since I do not tend to carry my tripod great distances, like hiking. I needed something capable of holding a 1D IV or gripped 5D II and a 70-200 IS lens and this set does that well.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I am looking for a second (versatile yet SHARP) macro lens with a shorter focal length than my 100mm for occaisional use.

Keep in mind that the lens focal length is given for infinity focus. When focused at 1:1, they can vary by a lot. If your 100mm is actually 60mm at 1:1, and you buy a 60mm that stays 60mm (e.g. unit-focus instead of internal-focus), it may give you the exact same angle of view (and focal length) as the 100mm.If you want the wider focal length for normal (non-macro) use, then you don't have to worry about that. If you do want it wider for macro, then the tricky part is finding someone who has measured the angle of view (or focal length) at those focus distances. I used to have these measurements for a bunch of Nikon lenses (which probably doesn't help you anyway), but now I can't find them.

If you want to save money, macro lenses are the perfect type to consider an all-manual lens (manual focus, manual aperture), because I usually don't need fast autofocus or fast auto-aperture when I'm shooting macro. I can recommend a used Nikon 55mm f/2.8 Micro lens. All you need is a Nikon-to-Canon adapter ($28 from Fotodiox, or less from flea-bay) and you're in business. KEH has the lens for $110 "bargain" quality (which is perfectly fine, optically). That particular Nikon lens is very sharp and I've got a ton of fantastic shots. Plus, it's tiny. Fits in any pocket.

As for the Sigma 50 and Tamron 60, I haven't looked into them, but I would guess they are very nice. There's also theCanon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro, but it's not 1:1.

Denise, I purchased the Slik 700dx pro. Not super expensive but solid as a rock. Also a little on the heavy side, but that comes with sturdiness. I haven't tried flipping it around for macro yet because I just use flash and that works well enough. Here's a link...

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

Hi Denise, I recently grabbed a Vangard 284CT because there was a good rebate on it and find it perfect for what I need. It is very versatile and very stable and light and small enough that I am encouraged to take it with me. I found I was leaving the tripod at home most times and decided portability and versatility was the main factors that influenced me getting better shots and light and usable was better than nothing.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Wow! Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! It is extremely appreciated!

I will most definitely be taking a closer look at all the items listed above and see what is going to work best for my needs and my budget. Sometimes meeting those two things in the same item is the hardest part!

I may come back at some of you with more questions once I