Thread: Flashpoint Battery grip for 7D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Flashpoint Battery grip for 7D

I recently (as of Friday the 16th!) got a 7D. Wow, such a jump up from the 20D.

I'm looking for opinions on the Flashpoint Battery grip from Adorama. Here is the listing: LINK.

Specifically, does anyone know if the battery grip has a tripod mount on it? I'd hate to not be able to use my tripod with the grip installed. Does the Canon version have one?

Thanks a ton,

Rodger

Re: Flashpoint Battery grip for 7D

I don't know about flashpoint's battery grip, but Canon's orginal battery grip for 400D and 5DMKII has the mount-on tripod feature. So I would guess the 7D version has it too

The flashpoint grip has a tripod mount.

The grip feels a little bit cheaper than the camera in build quality. The plastic feels cheaper and the buttons do as well. For the price I'm still very satisfied, it functions and makes the camera with heavier lenses easier to hold. I've had it less than a month.

7D wow, that's cool. Congrats!!!

Congratulation on your new 7D! The BG-E7 does have a tripod socket. The LP-E6 battery is chipped, so I don't know if the third party grip can recognize it. Matthew, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren
    7D wow, that's cool. Congrats!!!
    <div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    Congratulation on your new 7D!
    </div>

Thanks guys! (After my 20D crapped out while second shooting a wedding, I figured it mighttt be time to upgrade. Graduation + birthday money teamed up to make the 7D a possibility).

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen
    The LP-E6 battery is chipped, so I don't know if the third party grip can recognize it. Matthew, what do you think?

That was my 2nd biggest concern, but from what Matthew said, it looks like it does communicate. Good news!

Thanks for all the replies guys.

-Rodger

Rodger, I have the Canon battery grip for the 7D and I can attest of its high quality. It does have a metal threaded tripod socket. The price has also gone down. I never take it off. I can't say anything about the Flashpoint grip though.

The flashpoint grip communicates LP-E6 status to the 7D

Zeikos also makes some nice third-party grips. Their one for the 7D can be seen hereand I have heard and read nothing but good things about it.

Many people are opting for the third-party grips on the 7D because the stock Canon grip is notorious for its way overly sensitive portrait shutter release. Many people claim that they cannot even focus by pushing the button halfway down since it just fires.

I don't know much about Flashpoint, but would vouch for Zeikos making some very nice quality grips.