Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Use Flash Diffusers Properly?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to Use Flash Diffusers Properly?

Hi guys! I got myself a cheap flash diffuser (probably a Sto Fen clone) for my 580 EX II. It comes in three colors, white, blue and yellow. This seems to be a newbie question, but how do I use them? Or rather, how do I use them properly? I've read some that it should be positioned to a max of 45 degrees towards the ceiling. What are the strengths and weaknesses of using this diffuser aside from a few light loss?

Thanks!

Re: How to Use Flash Diffusers Properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph

Hi guys! I got myself a cheap flash diffuser (probably a Sto Fen clone) for my 580 EX II. It comes in three colors, white, blue and yellow. This seems to be a newbie question, but how do I use them? Or rather, how do I use them properly? I've read some that it should be positioned to a max of 45 degrees towards the ceiling. What are the strengths and weaknesses of using this diffuser aside from a few light loss?

Thanks!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

First of all, I'd like to note that a Sto Fen (or comparable knock-off) will not give you really soft gradient from light to shadow. It will help a little bit; and yes, it'll steal some power from your flash. If you really want flattering lighting, you'd be better off making the light source much larger by using an umbrella or softbox.

However, as far as your question goes...put the flash anywhere that produces the results you're looking for. I realize that's a bit of a cop out, but it's true. Yes, having the light at a 45 degree angle is a common setup. However, it's certainly not the only setup.

In this shot, the sun was on the other side of the train. We were completely in shadow. I positioned the flash (diffused by a small umbrella) behind the subect leaving most of the camera-side part of his face exposed solely by ambient. The shot works well because it has more of a masculine feel to it (it's kind of an extreme example of short lighting).

In this shot, the subject is looking right at the flash which is diffused by a small softbox on the other side of the pool:

Go out and shoot. Move the light around and see how the results change. Shoot the light through things (like umbrellas or bedsheets) and see how the shadows get softer. By experimentation, you'll find lighting styles that work best for you.

Thanks Sean! Those are very impressive and helpful shots. I'm aware that umbrellas and softbox are the way, but due to budget constraints, start with something less. So far I've tried shooting with most of the light coming from the flash. The white cap works well but both yellow and blue cap creates a very yellow/blue tone. I tried another shot with most of the ambient light and fill flash, it worked very well this time. Will try to post some shots tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Thanks Sean! Those are very impressive and helpful shots. I'm aware that umbrellas and softbox are the way, but due to budget constraints, start with something less. So far I've tried shooting with most of the light coming from the flash. The white cap works well but both yellow and blue cap creates a very yellow/blue tone. I tried another shot with most of the ambient light and fill flash, it worked very well this time. Will try to post some shots tomorrow.

Thanks again!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

You might want to try something kind neat--with that yellow cap on, take a shot. Then shift the white balance so that the yellow light becomes white (take a picture of a white piece of paper then adjust in post processing until it's white again). Now you should have a very blue background while having a subject that looks normal. It's kind of a neat effect if done properly. However, it looks even better the warmer you make the light coming from your flash. With a warming gel, you can shift the ambient light to blue while maintaining a warm light on your subject.

Something like this:

Thanks again!

<div>

If you are on a budget and can't do the off camera stuff, I'd recommend a Gary Fong over the Sto-Fen. It is a much softer light. Not perfect but much softer. I've actually used the Gary Fong off camera as a fill light in real tight areas. It gives off a diffused bare bulb coverage where the Sto-Fen doesn't look that diffused.
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I'd recommend a Gary Fong over the Sto-Fen

I asked the Fong VS Honl question in the Strobist Flickr group and got directed to these. See full thread here.

Personally, being the budget minded (read: cheap) person I am, I'm going to try a take out soup container from a local restaurant. At least to see if the GF is worth the cash. (I know they wont be super close in comparison, but it'll be some platform to make a decision from.

Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I'd recommend a Gary Fong over the Sto-Fen

I asked the Fong VS Honl question in the Strobist Flickr group and got directed to these. See full thread here.

Personally, being the budget minded (read: cheap) person I am, I'm going to try a take out soup container from a local restaurant. At least to see if the GF is worth the cash. (I know they wont be super close in comparison, but it'll be some platform to make a decision from.

Rodger

<div>

I love how ALL these flash diffusers say "near studio" quality. Even the Gary Fong does. All I have to say is...Not even close. Better than bare flash but please don't think you will ever get near studio out of these.
    </div>

Hey Ralph,

I ussually point the flast straight up (if inside) with a +2 FEC, or straight at the subject for fill flash with a -2 FEC in lower lights and maybe -1 if outside in brighter lights. The 580 has nice manual controls but i preffer to keep in on the auto ttl and control it in the menu with flash exposure compensation.

I would recommend never using a flash on the camera pointing straight forward as your primary light source. This will lead to bad shadows and poor lighting ratios between the background and the subject.

Hi! Sorry for the late post. Anyways, here are samples of my shots using these caps. Don't mind the picture quality as I am just aiming on how to use these caps. Lighting is quite a challenge.

Here's the one with blue cap on

With the yellow cap on

And the original (or used with the white cap??)

Additionally, I found something useful with these colored caps:

yellow

blue

Take note of the pin light. Strobist should have lots of fun playing with these colored diffusers.

Looks like it's back to the catchlight panel technique with shooting outdoors and use the diffusers mostly on tight quarters.

I'm a bit disapointed to be honest Ralph - I don't see any Bundaberg Rum on top of that fridge! []
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30