Thread: Flash Attachment to monopod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Flash Attachment to monopod

Since I just invested a small fortune into my new 600 EX-RT flashes and plan to use them off camera a lot more,
    I am reevaluating my set up.

I will be using the ST E3 RT transmitter on camera with at least one flash mounted to a monopod with a flash mounting bracket and an umbrella carried around by an assistant.

My concern is that the shoe mount of the flash will be getting a much greater workout on the monopod than it had on camera or fixed on a stand.
    My assistant sometimes is not the most careful person. I figure the umbrella will help protect the flash in 'drops' but should I worry about the shoe mount getting a workout and becoming loose or broken with this set up.

Is there a better method?
    If I could avoid using the shoe mount off camera all together this would make me feel better.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

As far as the shoe getting a work out, yes, jarring motions can break a flash's shoe. I've had it happen once, but only when a light stand was falling over and I reached out and caught it. The whipping motion of me pulling it back quickly against gravity was too much for the shoe of the Vivitar 285HV that I was using at the time. Under moderate gravitational forces, though, the shoes usually hold up. Consider this--they're designed to be attached to your camera, and just think about the forces involved in letting the camera go when it's around your neck or quickly repositioning for a portrait grip.

Is there a better way than a monopod? Actually, yes--and this is something I have used several times. The best solution is to buy an extendable painter's pole and a Kacey Pole Adapter. When collapsed, the pole is about the size of a monopod that's extended. When you extend it, it gives you much more reach which can be handy. Check this out:

http://pixsylated.com/blog/longarm-and-metalhead/

Here's the setup in use (we were using a very small umbrella with it):

Snapshots Setup by budrowilson, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post

This is the first I have seen Amber since you married her. You must had exchanged her from being your model to your assistant.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    This is the first I have seen Amber since you married her. You must had exchanged her from being your model to your assistant.
    So do I need to get an "Amber" and Kacey Stand adapter too? Are they compatible? I thought it might be mutually exclusive... Either way sounds way to expensive.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    As far as the shoe getting a work out, yes, jarring motions can break a flash's shoe. I've had it happen once, but only when a light stand was falling over and I reached out and caught it. The whipping motion of me pulling it back quickly against gravity was too much for the shoe of the Vivitar 285HV that I was using at the time. Under moderate gravitational forces, though, the shoes usually hold up. Consider this--they're designed to be attached to your camera, and just think about the forces involved in letting the camera go when it's around your neck or quickly repositioning for a portrait grip.

Is there a better way than a monopod? Actually, yes--and this is something I have used several times. The best solution is to buy an extendable painter's pole and a Kacey Pole Adapter. When collapsed, the pole is about the size of a monopod that's extended. When you extend it, it gives you much more reach which can be handy. Check this out:

http://pixsylated.com/blog/longarm-and-metalhead/

Here's the setup in use (we were using a very small umbrella with it):

Snapshots Setup by budrowilson, on Flickr
    Snap! I just ordered one! Thanks, Sean. This will help me with outdoor shots!

Maybe canon can think about an attachment site that is not so critical.
    Would be nice to have a female site similar to what is on the base of the camera.
    Dont ask me where to put it just that I would like to have it.

Thanks Sean

There is a screw mount on the left side of Canon 430/580/600 Flashes it is for the canon flash bracket, but it could be used to mount it

Quote Originally Posted by Timon View Post
    There is a screw mount on the left side of Canon 430/580/600 Flashes it is for the canon flash bracket, but it could be used to mount it

I have often thought of using that screw hole to mount the speedlite, but it has seemed kind of flimsy. Has anyone actually used a flash mounted that way?

Larry

Here is what happend to my Sunpak when the wind blew my light stand over. The umbrella was bent but still usable.

IMG_0003 by clemmb60, on Flickr

I have not had any problems with my Vivtar 285 since I replaced the foot.

IMG_0005 by clemmb60, on Flickr

I do worry about my 580EX plastic foot.

IMG_0006 by clemmb60, on Flickr

But the 580EXII seems much better. I would assume the 600EX-RT would be similar.

IMG_0007 by clemmb60, on Flickr
    Mark

Re: Flash Attachment to monopod

Trust me, the Kasey Adapter is cheap in comparison. And as a side note, the engagement fell through. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2