Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck am I doing wrong!?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What the heck am I doing wrong!?

The last couple nights after work I have gone out and tried to take some autumn photos. Fall is my absolute favorite time of year so I was very much looking forward to this! I swear out of all the photos I've taken I can't find ONE that I like! [:'(] First night, I felt I didn't have a wide enough lens (not much room to back up on these narrow trails) and I didn't have a polarizerfilter with (that's what I get for rushing to put it all together before work)! So, my composition stunk and it is getting a hr. before sunset anywayso in the woods, lighting is 1/2 too dark, 1/2 to bright ...errr!Plus it doesn't thrill me to walkthru woodsby myself thatI've never been in when it's getting dark!

Tonight, I had the 17-55mm and a polarizer and I went to a different county to get some shots but by the time I got there, it was even closer to sunset! [] I am HOPING this weekend to go much earlier and praying there will still be leaves on the trees to take pictures of! I know I took much better fall photos last yr. with my T1i and kit lens!

I haven't gone thru all of them yet, but so far these are the best of the horrible....

Any advice before I go out again would be greatly appreciated!

Denise

Re: What the heck I'm doing wrong!?

What White Balance are you using ???? The 3rd last pic looks good. Nice bokeh and the colours seem natural. Only the 2nd one seems to look unaturally orange. For me I had a few do the same sort of thing and I only adjusted white balance to shade or sun and ended up with more satisfying shots. You'll love having the circular polarizer on to squeeze out some more colour. I have to get one for my Tamron 17-50 2.8 yet but I have them for my 10-22 and 28-135.

I like them all. We don
    Mark

Am I wrong if I like several of them? . 1, 4, 5, 6 and 7 are great IMO. Others can correct me if I am wrong here but to me the issue with 2/3 is lighting. The soft/warm light of the "magic" hour is causing a lack of contrast in the photos because too much is "soft/warm" color either from the foliage or the lighting. So you can be safe this weekend, , and maybe shoot earlier in the day? One article I read advocated shooting foliage at a 90 degree to natural light. Seems to me that would be easiest to do mid-morning and mid-afternoon.

Other than that I

I did use standard for most of the photos and then I also used the "Autumn Hues" I downloaded from Canon for Picture Style. This weekend I do hope to go out mid-afternoon so maybe that will help. I know when I look at the photos of others I think WOW, that's beautiful but not on any I've taken so far. One thing is maybe because I know I had to do more than the norm for me for pp, which I hate doing because I am awful at it!

Here is the original of #3 ...

Thanks for liking some of them and for the advice for this weekend!

Denise

You posted the same time I did.

On #3 what kind of metering do you use? I have taken similar pictures with my 5d mark II in live mode. By going 10x and scanning to a specific spot in the frame you can get the camera to auto adjust out and take out some darkness.

Hi Denise,

I am finally back at my own computer. I regrettedhow I phrased my post to this thread (no more midnight posts). Ultimately, I just wanted to say that I've also had issues with photographing fall colors in lower light that is typically great for other subjects. I've been more pleased with the colors in my pictures taken with moderate amounts of light.

Also, here is a link totwo of the articles I've read. You may have already seen them. If I can find the others, I'll send them to you as well.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2169

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/fall_foliage_photography.html

And actually, Bob Atkins and the 2008 article from canon both advocate "magic hour light." Oh well.[:$] I just haven't liked my pics that are too close to sunrise/sunset prefering the pics from 1-3 hrs before/after.

Good luck this weekend.

Brant

All look really good.

But the location you had in #2 and #3 is great. Is the orange the actual color? The sky is kind of bland, and I don

Re: What the heck am I doing wrong!?

I

Re: What the heck am I doing wrong!?

Denise, Actually, I think you captured a couple of them quite well----#3 and #5; which isn
    Bob