Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First "on my own" wedding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First "on my own" wedding

For just over a year I have been helping out a wedding photographer (15 years experience himself), getting experience for myselfetc. This year I have gota few weddings lined up that I have got myself, here are some shots from the one last Friday, typically in the UK it rained, so nice outside shots just weren't going to happen, I have another one this Friday which is ata gorgeous venue.
    I'm using a 50D, 24-105mm f4 L, 580EX II
    Some wide shots were taken with EF-S 18-55mm (horrible lens, but does the job - needs replacing!)
    Excuse the watermarks.

Re: First "on my own" wedding

Wow! Fantastic work.

Nice. Although the second pictures is way too gray. There are ways to convert color to black & white and retain more tone.

Other than that I like the pics you put up. I recently did my first wedding as well!

Madison,

Can you give an indication how to convert in BW with more tone. I do it in camera raw, but sometime the tone is not up to my expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gian Luca

Madison,

Can you give an indication how to convert in BW with more tone. I do it in camera raw, but sometime the tone is not up to my expectation.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Would be good to know! I can only guess its down to adjusting the levels on their own? Or saturation?

Cheers for the comments guys

Nice...All of them but I REALLY like the last one.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Nice photos, I really like 3 &amp; 5.

As far as the B &amp; W goes, there a few simple things you can do to help that out.

1) Make sure as you process the raw that your histogram is filled from one end to the other. Slight clipping on either end won't kill you. Dad's shirt collar can be blown out slightly and that won't hurt the overall image. So increase exposure in post until that happens. I treat the exposure compensation as a highlight controller. If the histogram is not clipped at the bottom, there should be a black level or similar slider to stretch the histogram toward the dark end. We'll call that the shadow controller. I'd say by the look of dad's jacket your already there.

2) If you have it, open a curves dialog and push up the straight line in the middle to push up the mid-tones. The image should look overall much brighter but the highlights are clipped where they are. Do this until your comfortable with the skin luminosity.

3) If you have a way to desaturate in raw processing do that. Then change the white balance from one end of the scale to the other and watch what happens to the B&amp;W tones as you do so. This is the way I apply color filters while processing raw.

I hope you don't mind. I downloaded you image and looked at the histogram. I would say due to dad's collar the image was severly underexposed. 1-2 stops. I did a little post in CS3 with levels and some vignetting....

Nice shot...good composition...beautiful subjects.....what more could a photographer ask for?

Thanks for that input guys! Know how to handle B+W Images a lot better now!

No problems with editing the files, shows me what I need to be aiming for now when I process them, many thanks!

It's often matter of taste. For example, I think Chuck's vignetting is too harsh (especially in the upper right corner) and the highlights in the father's blouse are blown. So experiment. It's fun.
    The way I postprocess doesn't please everybody either, so it's not a right-wrong issue.
    It's a matter of developing a style that you as a photographer feel comfortable with. Everything is possible.

PS: Before you do any greyscale make sure the white balance of the color original is correct. Sometimes people go straight to conversion after shooting tungsten for example and the orange cast will not convert well to greyscale. That sort of thing.