Thread: Ice 'N' Snow - long exposure

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ice 'N' Snow - long exposure

Greetings from Tulsa, Oklahoma.

This was taken last night and the only source of light is a street light on the top of the hill. I used "Save to Web" function, so the Exif data got lost on the JPG. I do, however, recall that I used the following settings and equipment:

Canon 40D with an EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 (don't remember the focal lenght), ISO 100, f/9.0 at 25 seconds, auto WB, metering mode - pattern. A heavy tripod, 2-second self-timer, mirror lockup enabled, IS disabled. Full-size version is available on my flickr page.

Absence of the feedback or critique will tell me that everyone is just speechless. []

Cheers!

Re: Ice 'N' Snow - long exposure

Very nice photo. The color is warm though. You might want to experiment with the WB to cool it off. But the warmth does add a surreal taste though. Also, just for fun, small apertures with long exposures might turn the light into more of a starburst, rather than a glow. Nice work

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I agree about the color. I could have shot it in RAW with the "White Balance" card in front of it, but then it would not look as warm after correction, and it was just to cold to mess with it.

Most excellent shot! Period... :-)

FANTASTIC

Love the detail in the snow. I usually like snow to have a cooler feel to it, but that's just a personal feeling.

I think you got the best exposure to represent the time of the day and season. And the texture of that snow is awesome, it almost feels like gold shimmering dust. I actually love the warm glow, it adds warmth and comfort to the picture, and that tree is like on fire. Well done, it's a picture come alive.

I love the way the branches look in this shot. Really cool...also the warm tone to the street light gives this photo the feel it needs. Great work!!

Rick