Thread: Need some advice!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need some advice!

So I'm graduating high school this year and my parents already agreed to get me a 7D as my graduation present(as much as I want a 5D, that's asking too much), but now I'm having second thoughts.

I can't decide to stick with getting a 7D or instead get some glass first and wait till I get more money from a job to get a body. Since my parents already agreed on the 7D that's about $1700 to spend on something else.

Here's what I already have;

Canon 350D (Rebel XT, had this bad boy since it came out)

Canon 430EX flash

Canon 50mm f/1.8

Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM

Sigma 15-30mm f/3.5-4.5

Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6

Now on to what I'm thinking to get as an alternative to the 7D;

I REALLY want the 35L, I rented it over thanksgiving last year and absolutely LOVED it. Another one would be the 17-50 f/2.8, just a better general purpose lens to replace the Sigma. Or perhaps a 70-200 f/2.8? I also have other primes in mind as well..

I'm really stuck, I'd love to have them all but we all don't have a huge wad of cash to spend. I mainly shoot portraits and "street" photography, sometimes I'll do some sports shooting.I should have a good paying job thanks to some connections later this year, but I need to decide on what I want as soon as June rolls around.

So what would you fellow photo takers pick? The kick-A body or the oh-so satisfying glass?

Re: Need some advice!

That's a tough call. The 7D would be sweet, but it doesn't sound like you really need it from your brief description of preferred subjects. An "L" lens or two might be a better option, in my opinion. But I think we have different styles, so don't base your decision too much on my word. You seem to prefer primes, I prefer zooms.

Just remember...Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Well, first off I will mention if you are considering the 5D2 at all, or have intentions of getting something like it you may want to stray from the EF-S lenses (17-50 2.8). Maybe you are not like me, but I just hate buying things twice, I would rather buy one lens to fit a focal range that is going to suit me for years to come rather than go cheap on one I will "outgrow" soon after.

Other than that, I have a 7D myself and am seriously satisfied with it. I think they main difference will be light sensitivity, if you find yourself short on light with the 1.8's you already own, then the 7D may be your best alternative. On the other hand, if you really want the FF you could go for glass and save from work to meet your needs.

As for lenses if you choose them, rather than the 17-50 I would go for the 24-105L. If you are on the streets it isn't too menacing size-wise but makes for great shots. The quality is fantastic and the range is lovely too, plus you can go FF with it. While it may seem somewhat wide on a crop sensor, your Sigma will fill the gap, and once you get your 5D its range gets even sweeter.

Other then that I suppose it depends on your subjects, if you really don't shoot sports much then your 70-300 will probably suffice for now and I would focus on a more "walk-a-round" type lens.

Glass first, body later. That´s my opinion.[]

The only thing that will happen to the 7D is that it is getting cheaper. Solid L-glass holds it prize on the used marked and you can still use it when your grandchildren are getting old. :-)

I am still using my "old" 400D/XTi. I bought the KPS 1.35X eyepiece magnifier and the viewfinder is now a bit bigger than the one in the 40D/50D. I also installed the CHDK hack and got spot metering and ISO 3200.

- Johnny

Thanks for the insight.

As much as I love primes, I do HATE the zooms I have right now. So I just figured I could get a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/4 for a little more than what the 7D costs. I'll probably just go with this since it's completely logical to replace my crappy zooms with some L glass instead of upgrading my body.

I'll just have to wait till I get a job after I graduate to get a new body and the primes I want. One great thing I'm going to love about living with parents as I go to college is that most of my money will be able to go into things I want instead of into bills. [H]