Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POST Card

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

POST Card

Would anyone on here recommend a POST card for finding out what's wrong with a computer? I have reseated everything and even attempted a new power supply as I thought that might be the issue. I am now at a loss and looking for the next line of troubleshooting for the PC.

I have a computer that doesn't start up. It powers on and there is movement in fans, HD and everything else, just doesn't display anything or beep. I pulled the HD and it still works properly so I know it wasn't a HD crash.

Thanks computer savvy forum members!

Jayson

If it's not beeping it's usually the RAM. Can you pull the sticks and replace one?

Good plan, will try that...

Nope not RAM.
    Last edited by Jayson; 02-17-2012 at 05:45 PM.

+1 on Chad's recommendation.

Would you mind posting the specs of the system? And just to clarify, you cannot see the POST on screen, or you see the POST and nothing after it? I dealt with an issue where the OS and the graphics driver didn't play nice together and I had to jump through a million hoops.

Also, it's a long shot, and you may already have checked, but plug the monitor into something else to make sure it works. If you're only indications of problems are no beep during POST and no display, you might as well rule out the possibility that the monitor is a problem since it's easy to check if you have something else you can plug it into.

My computer is basically this http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/inspiron-546s/pd

Needed something cheap for me and the kids and this was it. Works for everything I need, or it did until this issue.

Monitor isn't the issue. I have two of them for display and both work with my laptop. I took out all of the ram and tested each one in the 4 different slots and still blank.

As for displaying anything. I cannot see anything on screen. There is no POST at all. I installed windows 7 on it about a month ago after having Vista 64 and didn't have an issue. I thought it might have been something with the USB ports since my kid keeps plugging in a USB microphone, but after unplugging that it didn't remedy the situation. I have since unplugged everything and tested it, but nothing is working.

Thanks.

If the motherboard doesn't beep then it's either faulty RAM (or DIMM slot), badly-seated or damaged CPU, or the graphics pathway is garbled. Those are the only 3 things checked at POST. After that BIOS takes over and it handles disks, NICs, etc. If you're certain it's not bad RAM it may be a shot motherboard. That happens more than I'd like to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
    If the motherboard doesn't beep then it's either faulty RAM (or DIMM slot), badly-seated or damaged CPU, or the graphics pathway is garbled. Those are the only 3 things checked at POST. After that BIOS takes over and it handles disks, NICs, etc.
    But would the disks still spin up if it wasn't actually getting past the POST?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Monitor isn't the issue. I have two of them for display and both work with my laptop.
    So, you have two monitors plugged in? One is HDMI and the other is VGA? While doing your diagnostics, did you have both monitors plugged in? I would recommend only plugging in the VGA monitor when testing. Mixing an analog and digital signal can cause some confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    It powers on and there is movement in fans, HD and everything else
    If you power it on and just let it run for a few minutes, do the fans and the HD continue running?

Are there LED lights inside the case that light up and remain lit? How about the LED lights on the outside of the tower? I don't know about that model, but certain Dell models are infamous for problems with this or that. Many times the behavior of the main power button's LED light can help you find out if there's a hardware issue. You could also try calling Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by rlriii13 View Post
    But would the disks still spin up if it wasn't actually getting past the POST?

So, you have two monitors plugged in? One is HDMI and the other is VGA? While doing your diagnostics, did you have both monitors plugged in? I would recommend only plugging in the VGA monitor when testing. Mixing an analog and digital signal can cause some confusion.

If you power it on and just let it run for a few minutes, do the fans and the HD continue running?

Are there LED lights inside the case that light up and remain lit? How about the LED lights on the outside of the tower? I don't know about that model, but certain Dell models are infamous for problems with this or that. Many times the behavior of the main power button's LED light can help you find out if there's a hardware issue. You could also try calling Dell.
    Question #1, I was wondering about the HD spinning question too, but figured since there wasn't a beep it wasn't getting past post.

#2, I unplugged the HDMI first try and have tried plugging and unplugging as I tested originally. Both work on other computers and when plugged into the down computer, they display like it would be off or in sleep mode.

#3, Yes, the fans and HD continue running. You can tell it isn't processing anything by the sounds it makes, just running. The LED light inside the case beside the batter is orange and stays orange when the computer is turned on and plugged in. The LED light on the front of the computer which usually displays white when the computer is on, is displaying orange also (just like it would when in sleep mode or hibernate). The little light on the front that flashes when it is initially turned on(wife calls this the thinking light) doesn't do anything at all. I thought initially that I might have had a bent USB pin from the plugging in of the microphone, but they appear to be fine, and I think that would have been solved by unplugging that from the motherboard.

Its funny because the same thing happened to my old computer before I bought this one and I never bothered to figure out what happened. Just bought a new one. I had a feeling it might be a little more serious and not an easy fix. Thanks guys for your input.

Is it under warranty?