Thread: Licensing Rate Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Licensing Rate Question

I was contacted today about submitting a few of my shots for a advertising campaign for a video game company. My shots would be used for ads at a convention. So far, I have a fairly limited experience when it comes to licensing and have no idea what price to quote. Does anyone here have any suggestions for a price range I should aim for?

Maybe you could get an idea by checking the pricing at ShutterStock or some of the other stock photo companies

Sorry, I should probably clarify a bit. I have a bunch of photos of a particular famous musician on stage (that I have a long standing relationship with) and a video game company wants to use them at the convention to promote their "Guitar Hero" type game. It's not a stock photo.

If the musician is Eddie Van Hallen and his agreement to endorse this game includes the requirement they use you're pictures, I would say $100,000 each.

If the musician is Joe, who is the drummer at the local pub on the weekend, I think $7.50 should cover you're troubles.

This may be a poor response, but I think how rare and difficult the pictures are to obtain govern. Keep in mind the musician owns the right of his promotion.

If you don't have a signed model release for the photos you really don't want to do this. If the subject finds their likeness used for commercial purposes and decides to launch a lawsuit...

You say you know them so you might be able to get a release if you didn't already do so, but will they want a slice of the pie too if they know they are being used?

Prices vary from a few bucks a photo at microstock agencies for non-exclusive commercial use to thousands a pop from traditional stock houses with all of the rights.

Ok, it's not Eddie Van Halen, but it's one of the most famous female guitar players that there is. Regarding the rights, I worked for the band for ten years (not as a photographer, so the photos are mine), and the deal is coming from their management directly. I don't accept solicitations unless the artist is involved directly.

Chances are the music dude/dudette has done similar things with photos before and can give you a good idea of the asking price. I'm sure if they don't know, some of the friends do. Stay away from the lawyer friends! They'll want a cut too
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

You know Prince! Sorry. Had to.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.