Thread: Deflecting flash with index card

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Deflecting flash with index card

I take the majority of my photographs inside in shaky light conditions. I have the 50mm f/1.4, but sometimes the narrow DOF doesn't capture everything I want in focus. I hate the look of the on-board flash, but am not exactly in a position *cough*wife*cough* to buy a separate flash. I started messing around with deflecting the flash upwards with an index card, and was thrilled with the results. I was able to use f/5.0, 1/200 shutter speed, and have an image that wasn't completely blown out by harsh lighting. Is there some product I can buy that would do the same thing, or is theindex card just as good?

Re: Deflecting flash with index card

There are products out there but I was always told "if it aint broke don't fix it". If your completely happy with the resultsthere couldn't be acheaper fix so stick with it.

Fred~

I tried searching for "pop up flash diffuser" on bhphoto and got a few results.

A couple layers of tissue placed over the flash work great. It wont bounce, but it works as a diffuser.

If you want bounce, how about sculpting an aluminum foil reflector!

Once your wife sees the chick magnet effect, she'll beg you to buy whatever flash setup you want!