Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banishing Birds...Please Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Banishing Birds...Please Help

Okay, so I finally bought a bird feeder and haven't had a chance to fully set up a backyard area to get some great pictures. I am starting to get a few of the birds I was hoping to capture. Starting a couple days ago, I had some unwelcomed guest visit and now have found that they have a nice little home to gather food or should I say, throw food. They attack the feeder and throw all the food out onto the ground. Anyone have suggestions?

Here are the ones I like...

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.64/2010_5F00_04_5F00_16_5F00_01476.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.64/2010_5F00_04_5F00_16_5F00_01492.jpg[/img]

Here are the ones I don't want...

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.64/2010_5F00_04_5F00_16_5F00_01450.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.64/2010_5F00_04_5F00_16_5F00_01495.jpg[/img]

Re: Banishing Birds...Please Help

The ones you don't want are common grackles, and they are sometimes considered 'pests' (especially by corn farmers, apparently). Not sure what you can do to discourage them from your feeder, though. The seem to eat almost anything. They do prefer to feed from the ground - maybe scatter some feed on the ground for them, and they'll leave the feeder above alone?

I do like the last pic - that's a pretty intense glare! []

Thanks. The last pictures, he wasn't too happy since I keptinterruptinghis meal by letting my dog out to chase them away. She thinks it's a blast. I really liked that pictures even though they are irritating me quite a bit. I wish I had a longer lens since I really had to crop it big time.

Jayson

Hi Jayson,

Your first two photos are really nice! I have the same beautiful birds at my feeders and I also have the same menacing grackles that you have. They definitely dominate the smaller birds and all scatter when they come into the yard! Between the grackles and the squirrels it's surprising the small birds get to eat at all!!

Denise

How do they attack the feeder? Maybe we can help you get rid of them.

Jayson those are some nice shots of the house finch, try to get a more distant background for better bokeh and a natural perch.

Good Luck!

brendan

I don't really have a ton of room to work with until I move the swingset to a new area of the yard. That is the only tree in the back yard to block out the other houses, so I had to make due. I just trimmed a tree so I have branches to put up for a more natural perch, but just have not got around to getting it up. My problem comes from the birds emptying the feeder in 1 day. There are about 10 of the grackles I believe they are called and they scare off the cardinal family in the area and the finches. They try to get in there, but the flock scares them away every time. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Jayson

Is your feeder/seed near the ground? I'm not an expert but maybe put up a second feeder suspended....

Sorry I don't have an immediate suggestion for getting rid of your unwelcome guests. But that last photo is awesome, especially considering your dislike of the birds. And the bird seemed to know it.

Everconsidered an air rifle?Just kidding!!!...or am I?[6]
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I'm sure a double barrelled 410 or 12 gauge would fix your problem. Probably not as discreet as an air rifle though [:P]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30