Thread: Anyone have any experience with Datacolor Spyder products and Windows 7?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone have any experience with Datacolor Spyder products and Windows 7?

This is a bit of a long shot, but I've already raised this issue with Datacolor's support, but they are insistent that it's a problem with my system (1month old and out-of-the-box as far as GFX is concerned).

The issue is that on booting, recovering from hibernation, or waking from sleep, the machine will either not load my calibration settings, or it'll load them, before switching back quite soon after.

Even trying to re-load the calibration settings won't do anything until a good few minutes of the machine being on, as if some process or other is on a delayed start, and the calibration won't load until it does.

The GFX card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M, running on an i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Windows 7 Home Premium (64), in a Dell XPS17.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks (on the off-chance that someone does).

The calibration does indeed take some time to load on my laptop. It is one of the last things to finish in the startup routine. Occasionally, the software will be running but the icon won't appear in the tray and the calibration will never load. When that happens, only a restart fixes the issue.

See my issue is more with returning from non-shutdown screen events, like changing users or the "Do you want to allow X access to your harddrive" or sleep. And if I leave it I don't think it would ever load the calibration. I have to manually load it, and that only works after a few minutes.

Be keen to know if anyone else has the same problem, just so I can mention it to the support guy.

I have never used Datacolor Spyder, but have used many computers with the NVIDIA GeForce cards so a suggestion to make sure the card is not the problem.
    I have seen on some machines you log back in, or start up your computer the screen will come up and be bland. It will take a few minutes before the NVIDIA card will kick in and start working. Sometimes it will glitch and not load at all if there is a problem.
    Even though you have a new machine, I would check and make sure you have the most up to date driver for the card. Go to NVIDIA to get the update, not Dell.

If I got to NVIDIA, their site kicks me back to DELL (I've already tried that) and I have the most up to date one as far as Dell is concerned.

I have no other problems graphically besides the one already mentioned, definitely no blandness.

Thanks for your help though.

Have a similar computer setup

Am currently running a similar hardware setup but not on a Dell machine. One thing to look at would be the driver settings from the Nvidia control panel. When you open it (right click option on empty display space for me) there should be a task pane on the left side (Display/Adjust desktop color settings/2.Choose how color is set.) Make sure that 'Other applications control colour settings' is selected.
    The other item to point out is that many graphic intense software packages (Adobe products, SolidWorks, amongst others) and some games as well also have provisions in them for taking over control of the monitor(s) settings and colour profiles when they are running. Many of these also run accelerators at startup which sometimes change settings you don't want them to. It may be necessary for you to change their preferences or options so that they will use the calibrated profile as well.

Hope it is something simple,
    Jeff