Thread: Arches and pillars.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arches and pillars.

Hello All,

I'm a photography enthusiast, still improving my skills. I'd like to share a few photographs and hope for some critique.

They are all shot in Red Fort, New Delhi, India. This particular arch area is called Diwaan-e-aam. I've use slight s-curve using GIMP photo editor and unsharp mask. All of them except the last one was shot at an exposure composition of -1.5 to -2.

Lens: Canon 17-40mm f4L Exposure Details: 1/250, f8

Lens: Canon 17-40 f4L Exposure Details 1/20 f14

Lens: Canon 17-40mm f4L Exposure Details: 1/25, f14

Lens: Canon 17-40mm f4L Exposure Details: 1/100 f8

Re: Arches and pillars.

I really like the composition in the second and third ones. Too bad that guy was passing by in the 2nd shot.

The only thing I find disappointing is, in the last picture, that you cut off part of the top of the arch. I think you did it in order to fit the bottom part better. Since I don't know the focal length -I suppose it was took at 17mm- I only suggest you take a couple of steps back next time. Or maybe zoom out a bit ^^

All in all, great pictures

Thank you for your critique. On the last one, I noticed the cut only while I was posting it at another website. The exif reads the focal length at 31mm, although I'm not so sure.

Thanks again for your interest.

Cool. You know what would also work? try doing them in black & white.

Strong lines and patterns sometimes benefit from black & white treatment. Or so my teacher says (I have yet to try it).

Very nice images, do you have anymore you could share?

The compositions are very nice! I would've tried to get a lower exposure value, though. That way the interior sections of the arches and the ceiling would be more visible, and the section of sky would be less white.

An exposure bracketed composite may have worked very nicely here!
    R6 II --- RF 14-35mm f/4L IS --- RF 24-105mm f/4L IS --- RF 100-400mm F5.6-8 IS
    70D --- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 --- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS --- EF 70-200mm f/4L IS --- EF 85mm f/1.8

Another element I would of liked to have scene used is the large shadows being cast by the pillars, but nevertheless great images!

Thank you all for your inputs and critiques. Getting correct exposure for these photographs were a challenge for me, and I shot a lot of them. These four are the only ones which are presentable.

I'll probably go back again and try to perfect these shots.

Thanks again.