Thread: Lee Filters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lee Filters

Looking at investing in a new filter system - just given my Cokin gear away as I had trouble using it with my 16-35mm lens - thinking of getting the Lee system but feel I won't get full use from the triple ND Grad sets - so thinking of getting the holder, plus the soft and hard 0.6x Grads... But has anyone tried a comparable reverse grad or colour filter in particular with sunrises and sunsets. Cheers !

I have the holder and the big stopper. It works well in general and does not shift colors but I have not tried a sunset.

Haydn1971, which Cokin system did you "give away?" They have several systems. I use the Cokin Z-Pro holder. It holds the 4x4 and 4x6 ND filters. I bought a cokin Z-pro set on sale mostly for the holder after watching this review. I now own filters from Lee (2 stop hard edge Grad ND), Singh Ray (3 stop reverse ND and 2 stop soft edge grad ND), a 4 stop Hitech, and the three 4x6 filters (1, 2 and 3 stop grad ND) filters that came with the cokin kit.

I am planning on selling off parts of the above, just haven't gotten around too it.

Anyway, I am not sure how to answer your question other than, yep, I have tried comparable reverse grad filter (not color though). I like my reverse grad a lot in terms of the ND. I could see going to the 4 stop reverse ND. A two stop reverse ND may not be enough. The singh ray reverse grad has a pretty severe color cast, kinda a tobacco color. It does produce some very nice looking shots, but I'd like the control over color.

Here is a shot taken with the reverse ND....Sonoma County by the airport...

Sonoma Sunset-5092 by kayaker72, on Flickr

BTW, I think Cokin gets a bad rap. The only time when I've definitely seen color cast is when I've tried to use the cokin filters with my 6 or 10 stop ND filters. In that combination, you see it. But by themselves, I haven't really seen anything.

Hi, I gave away the P-System holder, a couple of grads, an ND and the polariser... I've migrated to screw in ND and polarising filters as they are easier to work with, but the grads really need the holder - I'll take a look at the Z-Pro gear, as I was fairly happy with the P system, which is widely available in the UK - Lee filters are so easy to try, but there's a shop in Leeds which I may visit as I work there ;-)

Other than Lee & Cokin, the Singh Ray are a little more than I'd like to pay, but then Lee filters aren't that cheap either - anyone used the widely available Hi-tech filters ?

i am biased having only used the 4 x 6 LEE filters. turns out for me, the most used filter is the 0.75 hard GND (sample below). i tend to shoot at the edges of natural light doing landscapes. I haven't had to deal with color shifts with this filter. 2nd used is my D Benson reverse 3 stop GND.

Brush Strokes by ernogy, on Flickr

Hmm... Interesting, something I'd not really considered, I casually used the Cokin 0.6 grad on a 450D, but I now have a 6D which has a wider dynamic range, so perhaps a 0.75 grad could be better suited - may I ask where you are based specifically compared to my usual UK based light

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn1971 View Post
    Hmm... Interesting, something I'd not really considered, I casually used the Cokin 0.6 grad on a 450D, but I now have a 6D which has a wider dynamic range, so perhaps a 0.75 grad could be better suited - may I ask where you are based specifically compared to my usual UK based light
    I'm out west here in California. Northern Calif near Sacramento, Wine Country, and the Sierra Nevada. Darwin Wigget's blog is where I heard of this particular filter. Happy filtering, Erno