Thread: Which one 7D or 5D MKII

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which one 7D or 5D MKII

Currently I use a 450D with a host of lenses ranging from Canon EFS to L series with some Tamrons. Very happy with 450D but like to have the video option + gain some pixels for photos.

Does anyone have any experience with both units (I realize that 7D is just released) and that in VIDEO MODE the 5D MKII does not have some of the features of 7D. I take photos of many different subjects. Thanks for feedback.

Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Re: Which one 7D or 5D MKII

They're two very different cameras... speaking only from my experience with XXD series vs 5D. Mainly, sensor size vs. frame rate trade offs.

One key thing, to factor in is that you can't use an EF-S lens with a 5DmkII...

I have 2 canon l lenses so that should be OK. with 5D MKII
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

I have 7D and my brother has 5DII. The way I see these two cameras is that 7D is more for speed and 5DII is more on the picture quality.

It's the similar way I see 1Ds and 1D.

Have you guys compared video mode between the SLR's and if so which is better and does the auto focus work on the D7?. Also have you tried to play back video mode using HDMI output on a 1080P TV, Plasma and LCD and what's it like.
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Have you guys compared video mode between the SLR's and if so which is
    better and does the auto focus work on the D7?. Also have you tried to
    play back video mode using HDMI output on a 1080P TV, Plasma and LCD
    and what's it like
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by bouwy

Have you guys compared video mode between the SLR's and if so which is
    better?

I haven't personally used the 7D, but I've read a lot about it from those who have. The video mode on the 7D has more frame rate and resolution options, including 1080p24 and 720p60, whereas the 5D2 only has 1080p30. In some areas it has worse artifacts (aliasing), such as when using 720p60, and in other areas it has less artifacts (skew/jello).

For me, the most important factor is that the 5D2 can use the [url="http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki]Magic Lantern firmware[/url], which is some great free software for making it much more powerful, especially for video (but also some stills features like automatic focus and exposure stacking). Plus the 5D2 has all the normal full frame advantages, like better performance in low light.

[quote=bouwy]

Does the auto focus work on the D7?

[/quote]

The contrast detect autofocus during video is terrible and glacially slow, just like the 5D2. I do not consider it even remotely useful. It's vitally necessary to use manual focus for video on these cameras.

[quote=bouwy]

Also have you tried to
    play back video mode using HDMI output on a 1080P TV, Plasma and LCD
    and what's it like
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

[/quote]

It's awesome. The worst problems are the aliasing and skew artifacts, and the resolution isn't very good at all, but if you aren't bothered by those you will love it.

It really depend upon what you're planning to shoot. Different tools for different jobs. Both can likely meet all your photography needs, but each has specific strengths that will really sing in certain situations.

You cannot go wrong with the 5dmkII...or as I call it "the jesus camera." It is so fraking perfect...I think even if you rub it on lepers it cures them, somehow.