Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ready to add a 2nd camera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ready to add a 2nd camera

I currently have the Canon XSi and Im thinking of moving up to the 7D. Also thought about the 5D.

Not sure on the differences so I thought I would ask for some opinions. I generally shoot my kids high school sports. Recently had an opportunity to work as a freelance photographer for the local newspapers here. Thought that maybe this opportunity would open more doors and Im thinking I may need to step up to a better camera body.

All opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

Re: Ready to add a 2nd camera

Quote Originally Posted by donnman

I generally shoot my kids high school sports.

The 7D is a sports body. Fast and accurate autofocus, high frame rate, 1.6x crop for more reach. From Bryan's review of the 5D MkII: "A relatively slow frame rate, long shutter lag and long mirror blackout time combine to make the 5D II not the best choice for serious sports photography."

I have the same body and am also thinking to upgrade to either 7D or 5DmkII. But, I still don't need to decide right now.

I personally have a little preference for 5DmkII as I shoot rather portraits of my family and friends. But, if I were you (forsport actions), I'ddefinitely go for 7D for its faster fps.

Wondering if I do get the 7d, should I skip the "kit" lens or is it a worthwhile lens to have? As I previously stated, I shoot mostly high school sports and family pics. Many of the sports I shoot are indoors in a gym, hockey arena or pool.

Im thinking of not getting the kit lens and instead invest in either the 85mm or 100mm lens.

Thoughts?

Im thinking of not getting the kit lens and instead invest in either the 85mm or 100mm lens.

I think that's an excellent idea. Both the 85mm f/1.8 and 100mm f/2 sound perfect for your needs.

Wondering if I do get the 7d, should I skip the "kit" lens or is it a worthwhile lens to have? As I previously stated, I shoot mostly high school sports and family pics. Many of the sports I shoot are indoors in a gym, hockey arena or pool.

Thoughts?

The 7D sounds like the right camera and I'd definitely skip the kit lens. I had the 28-135, it came with my 40D, and it was definitely not a good sports lens. Not much fast about it.

I have the 7d and can tell you it is excellent for sports action as you are describing. I would just get the body and invest in a lens that fits your needs. 85 and 100 are good lens but for sports you may want something like a 70-200, just a thought. Good luck. The 7D rocks!

Im thinking of not getting the kit lens and instead invest in either the 85mm or 100mm lens

Don't forget a 17-50 f2.8 as your walk around kit lens replacement. The 85 1.8 and 100 f2 will serve you well for indoor sports but you will feel super claustrophobic trying to shoot indoor family portraits. Unless of course you like closeups of noses and eyes. []

Hi!

I have the 5D2, but recommend the 7D if you are not absolutely certain you need the higher resolution for extremely large prints. The 7D is better thought out in many ways and is indeed better for sports.

Lars, Goteborg, Sweden

Oh yes, one more thing. If you need super-wide lenses, go for the 5D....