Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What images do you or would you post on your website?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What images do you or would you post on your website?

Lately, I have been looking at the websites of others trying to get some ideas on how best to my arrange my website and what images to put up on it. So I had some questions for the masses:

1. Do you only put up your very best images, say your top 1%, or do you put up most of your good images say, say your top 10 %

2. Do you use your website as a library of good keeper shots or do you only wish to present the very best of your work.

Why do I ask? Well, I have seen both and combo's of both and was just curious what others do. One website I visited, the photog had a nice collection of great images, but only offered for sale "prints". The prints were clearly only a few "magazine or fine art quality" shots. But the photographer offered a good look at his library of images that weren't for sale.

I have rearranged my site several times but really haven't decided on just exactly what I wish to accomplish with it, SO I am looking for ideas and inspiration.

Your input is appreciated.
    Bob

Bob,

Your web site is already looking pretty good and I think effectively showcases the photography you do. I'm curious to see your finished product when you update it.

Dave

Bob, your site is one of the best I have seen! I don't know what changes you would be wanting to do.

I myself use flickr for a "backup" storage for many of my photos and my zenfolio site also but I'm slightly more selective of what I put on there. I really am not looking at the zenfolio site to make any money but if someone were to come along and buy something ...that would be fantastic! So far, the only one that has bought anything on there is my best customer ...ME! Originally, I did set-up zenfolio on the hopes that my photography was going to take a different direction that it has.

Although, I have external hard drives ...I have learned the hard way though that I can never have my photos saved in too many places!!

Denise
    Last edited by ddt0725; 02-06-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Bob,

Had a look at your site. Layout is nice and clean, easy to navigate, nice selections in the galleries. As has been said before, it is one of the better web site designs. My questions for you start with what are you hoping to gain from your site? Are you wanting to focus on generating product sales, increase event bookings, a combination of the two, or something entirely different? I know you stated that you aren't entirely sure of what you want to achieve, but without knowing what your goals are it is not the simplest of tasks to make sensible recommendations. All I could offer at this point is to figure out the purpose of having the site and what you want it to do for your business before starting to make any major changes.

If you have more photos that are to your standards that you want to post you could try rotating images in and out on a weekly or monthly basis. Give prospective and current clients a fresh look by a change in offerings. Updating is also one activity that improves ranking with search engines.

The only criticism, other than praise, I could offer on your site is that I did find the blue fonts on the dark background difficult to read. My aging eyes do like a little more contrast.

Thanks all for your comments.

but without knowing what your goals are it is not the simplest of tasks to make sensible recommendations.
    @JRW, This is the magic question and one I have yet to be able to answer. I suppose for the moment, I just want a place to catalogue some of my better photos,

If you have more photos that are to your standards that you want to post you could try rotating images in and out on a weekly or monthly basis
    This is a good idea, but I really haven't been shooting enough lately to add anything significant to the collection; but hummingbird season is just around the corner and I am allready preparing for it---additional and better lighting, better outdoor studio set-up etc---Hopefully I will be able to add some better shots and remove some of the older ones.

And....I'll work on those blue fonts

Thanks again
    Bob

Well, I just had to rearrange the furniture again, but I did take the advice of some.

The only criticism, other than praise, I could offer on your site is that I did find the blue fonts on the dark background difficult to read. My aging eyes do like a little more contrast.
    I think I fixed that as well as the layout colors, fonts etc. I also changed the slideshow pics and added a frame, rearranged the menus and re-wrote the welcome and about pages to incorporate more key words and eliminate the strong focus on sports. I also put a plug in there about offering tours and will build a full page on that subject. (Joel's Idea). I still need to work on titles and discriptions for each photo but that is going to take some time. So, feel free to take another look and tell me what you think.

Thanks, and as always, I appreciate any feed back (good or bad)
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Well, I just had to rearrange the furniture again, but I did take the advice of some.

I think I fixed that as well as the layout colors, fonts etc. I also changed the slideshow pics and added a frame, rearranged the menus and re-wrote the welcome and about pages to incorporate more key words and eliminate the strong focus on sports. I also put a plug in there about offering tours and will build a full page on that subject. (Joel's Idea). I still need to work on titles and discriptions for each photo but that is going to take some time. So, feel free to take another look and tell me what you think.

Thanks, and as always, I appreciate any feed back (good or bad)

Bob,

I just read your write up on hummingbirds and was surprised to find out that even with manual flashes you can have the setup needed to take the pictures. You did a great job on the setup and I appreciate it. I bookmarked it and will have to try it out when it warms up outside.

Dave

Bob,

I just read your write up on hummingbirds and was surprised to find out that even with manual flashes you can have the setup needed to take the pictures. You did a great job on the setup and I appreciate it. I bookmarked it and will have to try it out when it warms up outside.

Dave
    Thanks Dave, Glad you enjoyed and found it useful. When the H-Birds comeback please share your work. I love talking about them, sharing what little I know and learning from others.
    Bob

@ Denise, Thanks

Originally, I did set-up zenfolio on the hopes that my photography was going to take a different direction that it has.
    Me toooooo, but I did make enough off of the football pics to pay for the site and saw an additional $5.00 profit--Whooopeee. Oh Wait, I still have to pay for my .com name. $6.99, which leaves me 1.99 in the hole. The good news is that this is a tax writeoff.
    Bob

Bob -
    I also have a "fantasy pro page" (as I call it), and try to reserve only my very best shots for it. All the rest end up on a Picasa web album. I like your page a lot. It is easy to navigate, and the images are the right size and show up very well against the background. I also like your "info" tab, which provides bio & contact information plus the hummingbird article. I think that some of your photos could use a bit more description, especially with the birds and wildlife. But you have definitely made good selections for the website... I didn't see any 'fluff' whatsoever. And now, I am going to look at upgrading my own site a bit based on what I saw on yours!