Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understaning SLR cameras and lenses

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Understaning SLR cameras and lenses

Hey, everyone! I have a cousin that is looking to get an entry level slr and some lenses, but she doesn't understand anything about them, yet! I tried to explain some of it to her, but we communicate via e-mail mostly. Does anyone know of a good website that explains (in simple terms) aperture, focal lengths, shutter speed, etc? Sorry, I've never even had to look for something like this as I learned most of what I know from a professional photographer friend.

I recommended some books to her, but I want to give her something quick to look at as she wants to buy a camera and a lens or two soon. I want her to know what she is buying - especially when it comes to the lenses!

Thanks!

Re: Understaning SLR cameras and lenses

Hmmm this site? [:P]

Well I'm not really sure that this site explains the basics so... maybe (not sure at all) this: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

She can read this link from Ken Rockewell, make sure she doen't read other writing, or she'll confuse the heck out of herself

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/shutteraperture.htm

I am not so sure that she needs to understand them yet. I have recommended entry-level dSLRs to many people and usually I just listen to what they want to do and what their budget is and then recommend a set-up. They don't have to know what they are getting into (although warning that photography is addictive and can be expensive might be a good idea) just that they trust your recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by kwilter100
    a good website that explains (in simple terms) aperture, focal lengths, shutter speed, etc?

Instead of explaining aperture and focal length, you can say: "since you want to do child portraits, you might want this lens which will be able to capture their quick movements and create a pleasing blurred background," or "this lens will let you capture your kids, but since it is a cheaper lens, you may not be able to take good indoor pictures after dark."

The fun thing about photography is you don't know a lot to start out and then you learn. Most people start in the "green square" and then branch out from there. So, I wouldn't worry, just tell them they will learn in time the technicalities and for now just ask what they want to shoot and make a recommendation.

I have found this site to be very helpful in understanding all the shooting modes in a DSLR.

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

Thanks for the links and thanks for the advice Stephen! I think that is a great idea. She is going to come over to my house next week so I can show her a couple things I have. And I can help her determine what will be good for her within her budget! She has a much bigger budget than I had when I was starting out, so this should be fun! Thanks!

I am not too sure about what others might think, but if you don't really have a strong snob factor, you might look in to a used xxD. That way you would have a nice camera and still have plenty left over for lenses. I know a friend of mine recently bought a 30D that was practically brand new on Ebay for about $350. That would then give plenty of room for the cool lenses that you would not be able to buy if you were to buy a $600+ body. Better glass is almost always better than a good body. Besides once she gets into a set of lenses and understands more photography she will be able to upgrade to an even better new body.

Just a thought,

Samuel

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming
    you might look in to a used xxD

I agree with Samuel. I got a used 20D off of ebay two Christmas's ago. Doing that has allowed me to branch into high quality lenses and good quality lighting gear.

But it's up to her. Some people like the new deal.

I do think however, that you should teach her or at least show her the links to understanding exposure. I wish I would have understood a bit more about photography before I jumped on the 20D. Just my 2 cents.

-Rodger

I believe that the 450D or 500D are better cameras for beginners. Firstly, they are smaller and lighter, and easier to carry around. This is important for many who are used to pocket-sized cameras. Also, there is less risk of getting lost in all the options of a more advanced camera. And there are a lot of used 450D around for a reasonable price. And I would recommend a better lens than the kit-lens, e.g. the tamron 18-50, cheap but good. And an external flash. Personally, I have a Metz-flash for my 400D, works very nice, for a reasonable price. As for reading, there are a lot of books that are informative, but still small enough to carry with you when you are out shooting. Then you can look up in the book for the best shooting settings for a given scene.

But these are just my experiences, I guess every photographer, pro or hobbyist have their own opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by kwilter100

And I can help her determine what will be good for her within her budget!

That's really a key point, as well as assessing her shooting needs and allowing for future growth, as well as her technical skills. Dollar for dollar, money spent on lenses will provide greater improvements to image quality than money spent on a body. For example, for ~$1900 one could get 7D with the 28-135mm kit lens, or a T2i with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 lens. The latter combination would provide better image quality (within that shorter focal length range).

One recommendation I'd consider if she'll be shooting indoors is an external Speedlite flash - a 430EX II or 580EX II will make a huge difference in the quality of flash photos!