Thread: New Englanders, particularly Southern NH/ME, where are some places you like to shoot?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Englanders, particularly Southern NH/ME, where are some places you like to shoot?

I'm sure there's not too many New Englanders here, but it's worth a shot.

I live in Portsmouth, NH, and I am looking to expand on some places to go shooting. I love nature and wildlife in particular, and old structures and things such as forts or bunkers.

Some places I frequent include-
    Urban Forestry Center, Portsmouth, NH
    Pierce Island, Portsmouth, NH
    Great Bay National Wildlife Refuge, Newington, NH
    Fort Stark, Newcastle, NH
    Odiorne Point, Rye, NH
    Fort Foster, Kittery, ME
    Gonic Trails, Rochester/Barrington, NH
    Maudslay State Park, Newburyport, MA

I'm looking for anything really, but trails, forts, refuges, and the like are near the top of the list.

Feel free to share locations and/or pictures!

Parker River National Wildlife Refuge in Newburyport is probably my top repeat destination..... There are eagles congregating along the Merrimack river this time of year. Deer Island is very good. It really depends upon the season. Surfers at North Hampton beach can be fun to shoot. My next favorite targets are waterfalls and foliage in the White Mountains, or rivers while kayaking.

A few other suggestions:
    • Pawtuckaway state park has some great boulder field at the base of North Mountain. Views from both North and South Mountains are good.
    • Bear Brook State Park has some great trails and is nice, especially in the fall.
    • Adams point on Great Bay usually has swans in the late spring/summer and some nice views, directly across from Great Bay NWR.
    • Dunes at Crane beach, MA.
    • Cape Ann and things like Glouster, Rockport and Halibut Point State Park
    • Pulpit rock in Bedford has a series of nice waterfalls and old rock walls.
    • I haven't done it yet, but am planning on doing a few lighthouses in the area soon, such as York and Portland Head.
    • In the summer I like the puffin cruise out of New Harbor, ME.
    • Whale watches are good, I like Granite State Whale Watch out of Rye.
    • Of course there is the flume in the white mountains. I went up there in the winter last year and shot people climbing ice falls.

Anyways, I hope that helps. New England in winter can be a little tough....I tend to do stuff like obsess over tripods and watch movies. BTW...Argo, Silver Linings Playbook, and Skyfall all are recommended. Still need to see a few.....

Edit:
    • Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough
    • West Rattlesnake Hill north of Squam Lake is a nice hike as is Mt. Major south of Lake Winnipesaukee.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 01-22-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Rte 100 through VT is really scenic. Anywhere in the White Mountains, of course. And I'll second the suggestion of Gloucester and Salem when the weather is good.

This was one of my favorite routes when I used to ride. It's Rt 113a from Center Sandwich to Tamworth and around to Chocorua Lake. At the 90 degree bend I have circled, there is a very picturesque church and there are any number of good spots to shoot it from. Bring it up in Google maps and check out the church on Street View.

http://bimmermail.com/rt113a.JPG
    Mark - Flickr

David....a few more locations to add to Kayaker's northern Mass suggestions; Salisbury State Reserve (SSR), Plum Is. (PI) as a whole (Parker River Refuge is located on the southern end)....although great bird offerings, they also offer great sea and marshscapes. Mosely SP, just over the bridge beyond Deer Is. It's small, but is still on the Merrimack and offers some nice trails and scenics as well as bird photo ops.

These are all easily accessible day trips from Portsmouth, but be prepared to pay admission fees to SSR (depending when you go), Maudsley and PRNWR.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm going to try and make it to a lot of these come springtime.

Once spring is here, consider a trip down to Mount Auburn Cemetery - beautiful grounds, and a great place for migrating warblers (a couple of years back, there was also an easily accessible great horned owl nest).

I'm also seeing the potential for a New England TDP meetup...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post

I'm also seeing the potential for a New England TDP meetup...
    mmmh my work will require me to go to NYC one of these days ... maybe I could extend for the weekend
    Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    mmmh my work will require me to go to NYC one of these days ... maybe I could extend for the weekend
    I always forget about Mount Auburn...I hear it is great. May be a good place to meet up....I also think Sunset Grill is nearby.

David....I don't know if you were just looking for places to photograph or actual activities. I moved to the area about 8 years ago. The following books were very helpful in learning the area (most available at EMS):

• Quiet Waters (for flat water kayaking)
    • New England Waterfalls
    • Nature Walks in Southern New Hampshire
    • Discover Southern New Hampshire: AMC Guide to the Best Hiking, Biking and Paddling

There are probably others, I'll look when I am home....

Thanks! I have an EMS a stones throw away from where I live so I will have to check that out soon, maybe even tomorrow on my day off. I've actually, in my 24 years of life, never kayaked, but I would love to try it out. I have some friends who want me to go with them in the spring. As for biking, I routinely go on long trips with my camera and gear in a backpack. One of my favorite routes is the entirety of Rt 1A, taking in all of NH's 18 miles of coast and back again. I am particularly interested in the latter 3 books you mentioned, but perhaps I will fall in love with kayaking and get one of my own, another expensive hobby I am sure.

Once again, thank you all for the great suggestions! I am getting more and more excited for spring with each second knowing I have all this ahead of me.

Spring is drawing ever closer, bumping this up to see if I can get any more suggestions!